Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Are you saying you can't have a single track in a field then? Potentially anything could follow it?

Some sections I refer to as single track are wide enough to fit 2 bikes side by side if required, but typically only have a single line through it.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Singletrack is self explanatory. 12" wide on the ground and no more than 40" wide at the bars for the majority of the trail. If you can ride an ATV through it, it can't be Singletrack.

Single=1, not 2.
Track= A depression or trail worn into the ground that can be used to navigate the terrain. Usually marked by ribbon, arrows, paint, or simply by it's very nature.

Singletrack is not singletrack if you can drive an ATV through it, or a 4x4 vehicle. Around here, it is very rare. We keep getting it destroyed into Twotrack by non-singletrack vehicle users. Usually ATV, but sometimes 4x4 vehicles. They don't get far down it, but they encroach for a hundred feet or so leaving a visible track. Then another Twotrack user goes another short distance and pretty soon what was once Singletrack is widened out and becomes little fun to ride, and impossible to maintain.

To me, true Singletrack is by far the most fun type of trail. It is the most challenging, fun, easiest to maintain, most sustainable in the long term, and it's up to us who make, maintain, and use it to keep it from being destroyed.

Ok, puttin up the soapbox.

Jeff.
Everyone has their own interpretation of singletrack. I proved it by starting a thread on another forum a couple of years ago, and a lot of people posted pictures of what they considered singletrack. Much of it was a single beaten in path through an open field.

My interpretation is similar to yours though.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Is this? .. Could probably fit a few bikes in there.. Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ST.jpg (87.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM

It is if you think it is.

My singletrack has sections like that, but it may have some trees barely wide enough to fit through around the corner. Either way it looks like some good times!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yead definately tight sections where you have to feed the bars between trees. Other sections where it opens up where bog holes form and people keep making tracks around. Round the next coner and there'll be a big tree down and you bush bash a new path around. Around another 2 bends and over some roots to be greated by a jumpable tree. Woot! I love single track. More roots and trees the better!