Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Dead 02 EC 200

out riding today about 1/2 way down a burly single track my bike started hissing a bit out of the overflow, got out to the flats and opened it up a bit hit third gear and the bike died, like someone pulled the plug, no bang, nothing...

I tried to kick it over once and heard some pretty bad grinding noise, not at all smooth like it was an hour earlier. Got her back to a friends shop who has now taken the top end off, piston looks brand new, everything up top looked great..

thougths on this? Not being totally familiar with the engines not sure where to look. Crank bearings? anyone have a clue?

Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 PM

Was any coolant in or around tha crank area. Should be easy to spot with the topend off. How does tha crank feel? It should rotate easily by hand with the piston off. If the crank and top end seem fine the next area to look at would be under the right cover. Take the water pump cover and impeller off, you may find the impeller is all buggered up. Next the kickstart and then the side cover can come off. Then take a good look see around. The manual for these biikes can be found here, any of the newer model shop manuals will work for any older model, assuming thats what you have. Good luck I'm sure you will figure it out. These 2t bikes are pretty straight forward and nothing special about the GG to know about .

I had been eyeing your bike on Craigslist. If you got a good deal on it and you don't feel like messing with it I could part it out for you, but you will get it running. Were you at Reiter?

Paul from Everett
Old 05-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Was any coolant in or around tha crank area. Should be easy to spot with the topend off. How does tha crank feel? It should rotate easily by hand with the piston off. If the crank and top end seem fine the next area to look at would be under the right cover. Take the water pump cover and impeller off, you may find the impeller is all buggered up. Next the kickstart and then the side cover can come off. Then take a good look see around. The manual for these biikes can be found here, any of the newer model shop manuals will work for any older model, assuming thats what you have. Good luck I'm sure you will figure it out. These 2t bikes are pretty straight forward and nothing special about the GG to know about .

I had been eyeing your bike on Craigslist. If you got a good deal on it and you don't feel like messing with it I could part it out for you, but you will get it running. Were you at Reiter?

Paul from Everett
No coolant in there.. that looked ok, but turning the crank by hand, doesnt feel right at all... not smooth.. I was at little local riding spot, not reiter. thanks for the tip, not interested in parting it out, rather rebuild the whole engine.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 AM

If i remember corectly with the ignition still on the crank will have a somewhat notchy feeling. Get some more input than my shadetree inclanations. Gofasters can be an awesome resource if you catch them when they are not to busy. The full rebuild is not to bad, In fact it's kind of fun. I would definately pull the side covers and look around before you tear the case out of the frame. Keep posting observations and questions here, I am sure someone else will chime in.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
If i remember corectly with the ignition still on the crank will have a somewhat notchy feeling. Get some more input than my shadetree inclanations. Gofasters can be an awesome resource if you catch them when they are not to busy. The full rebuild is not to bad, In fact it's kind of fun. I would definately pull the side covers and look around before you tear the case out of the frame. Keep posting observations and questions here, I am sure someone else will chime in.
thats exactly what it feels like, a bit notchy.. hmm...the powervalve was gunked all up, black sludge oozed out of it when we took that off.. normal? Ill ride my Adventure up there today and try to get some pics, etc. Thanks for the all the help so far.. kind of lame, only had the bike a week..
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM

The pover valve cover has goo in it normally esp. if if it does not have a drain. Do you have the Side covers off yet? I am guessingf your problem lies in one of them. If the crank keyway that holds the ignition on were to let loose it could cause a scenario similar to yours. I have lots of gaskets if you need any let me know. Several years ago I was riding some good stuff of Ben Howard road, I have been thinking of checking it out again, same stuff?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The pover valve cover has goo in it normally esp. if if it does not have a drain. Do you have the Side covers off yet? I am guessingf your problem lies in one of them. If the crank keyway that holds the ignition on were to let loose it could cause a scenario similar to yours. I have lots of gaskets if you need any let me know. Several years ago I was riding some good stuff of Ben Howard road, I have been thinking of checking it out again, same stuff?
man, that just may be it..
this happend at machias orv, a very very small orv place north of Monroe.. but.. I do ride where you speak of.. its a gray area.. but I get there from my backyard.. behind the house there are hundreds of acres that i can ride in that backs right into Hancock and DNR land, so I dont officially go around any gates.. as there are trails from my backyard to those places..

thanks for the tips soo far, got the right side cover off.. the clutch side.. the bikes up in Lake Stevens right now or Id go shoot some pics.. ill get up there today..
Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 AM

I have a small ignition you could use for awhile if yours is buggered up. Funny thing is I just went to machias a couple weeks ago for the first time. I found some fun, yet short sections of good trail out there.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I have a small ignition you could use for awhile if yours is buggered up. Funny thing is I just went to machias a couple weeks ago for the first time. I found some fun, yet short sections of good trail out there.
man.. that sounds great!!!!.. yep, its small, but definately fun, there are some really fun technical stuff.. I rode with another gasgasrider that belongs to another forum and a local that rides out there as well.. its fun for a few hour local get away..

ps.. working out a deal with that gasgas on cl right now in clinton as well.. 02 ec200 same as my bike but with ohlins.. may pick it up.. saw it yesterday, it wouldnt idle, i was scared off because of recent gasgas issues..be nice to have 2 exact same bikes though..
Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
bored today by any chance? feel like taking a peak at the gasser up in Lake Stevens?