Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Default More details on port timing?...

Well, I've been reading through a bit, I see some info on raising the port timing by using thicker/more base gaskets. I had the oem .5mm when I bought my bike. Purchased a top end kit that came with 3 base gaskets, I installed the thickest (which I think is .3mm?). I did notice the difference. Seems like the bike almost wants to knock a bit due to the high compression. I'm ganna go back to a thicker gasket.
Question is, lots of people are saying to have the top of the piston at the edge of the bottom of the exhaust ports (if desired for more top end). I'm wondering if people mean the outter edge of the piston, or the actual top of the piston, which would be slightly higher than the outter edge.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence R View Post
Well, I've been reading through a bit, I see some info on raising the port timing by using thicker/more base gaskets. I had the oem .5mm when I bought my bike. Purchased a top end kit that came with 3 base gaskets, I installed the thickest (which I think is .3mm?). I did notice the difference. Seems like the bike almost wants to knock a bit due to the high compression. I'm ganna go back to a thicker gasket.
Question is, lots of people are saying to have the top of the piston at the edge of the bottom of the exhaust ports (if desired for more top end). I'm wondering if people mean the outter edge of the piston, or the actual top of the piston, which would be slightly higher than the outter edge.
It's the top of the piston where it meets the cylinder wall.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It's the top of the piston where it meets the cylinder wall.
So, the outter edge of the top ehh? Not the very top of the piston (which is the top of the dome of the piston)...
Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

The piston spends so little time at the bottom of the stroke it make little difference if the piston shrouds the port slightly. You should get a degree wheel and focus on the transfer port timing for your desired power band.