Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Default gasgas 250ec flywheel weights

Please help if you can, I'm new to gasgas and recently purchased a 2003 ec250 to ride in hare scrambles, however the bike hits like a motocrosser and is hard to ride in woods. I'm thinking of adding flywheel weights but i,mtold the ec already has weights . Steahly lists weights for mc bikes but not for ec however they say if ignition wires are at 10 o'clock position it is a light flywheel and if wires are at 1'oclock it is a heavy flywheel. Mine are at 10 o'clock position. Needto know if i can add weights or different flywheel and where i can purchase also pulled ignition cover and cannot see any weights. Thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Yes you have the 2k-2 ignition and you can use the FWW.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:44 PM

thanks for responding eff, I know this is dumb but how do I get the flywheel off and can you tell me anything by looking at the pictures? Where would the flywheel weights be?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

You already have a flywheel weight on your bike. I'm not sure what weight that is though.

The flywheel is the brass part behind the darker weight. The weight is actually substituted for the flywheel nut.

Two methods to remove. Either block the engine from turning or use a pnuematic impact driver to loosen.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Site Sponsor

looks to me like your timing is too far advanced, that would explain the big hit.........

see this post for setting timing on 2k-2 (with pics!)

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5124
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM

thanks for all the help guys, as you probably can tell i'm not much of a mechanic, just trying to save a few bucks. I assume the threads on the weights are LH. How do i tell how much flywheel weight is on the bike? Is the weight marked inside ?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:26 PM

Thats a 14oz weight, I have the same one. Thats the biggest weight you can put on the 2K-2.

Timing could be a little off, but not a lot.

I would say at this point if you are uncomfortable with the power delivery work on the jetting. There is a lot of info here. Post what you have for starters.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM

how does messing with the timing affect power delivery??
sounds like something I might play with.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Site Sponsor

turn the ignition plate back (counterclockwise) about 1mm at a time. and see how that affects power delivery. it's hard to tell where your timing is set from the pic, but it looks a bit advanced. check your plug now and see if there's any tiny shiny metal bits on it (too far advanced). if you back it up it should get mellower all over. the big hit could also be jetting/needle/pipe/ or possibly previous owner cylinder mods.....
Old 05-07-2015, 03:44 PM

Thank goodness for Google I found this thread. I have the same setup as popcycle on my '05 EC300 and during motor removal for what I thought was a bad bottom end bearing(s), I found that the weld/pressing that holds the black weight/cover had failed leaving the black metal "cover" part to flop around on the bolt head! The noise that makes is terrible metal-on-metal, which I thought was a major bearing blowout. Turns out it was this black metal weight/cover piece has failed. The black part is the flywheel weight, right? Who makes this product and do they fail a lot like mine did? And it's taken the place of the normal nut as eff stated, right?

I think I need to buy an air impact wrench to pull the black nut now, or buy an engine block to substitute for the spark plug, right?

If this was the noise I heard, and I've already bought all the parts and tools and yanked the swingarm to do the bottom end, should I continue with the rebuild anyway?

A million questions. Thanks for all answers.

Confused in California

EDIT: Ooops just re-read GMPs post that the black part is a 14 ounce FWW. Got it. I need to get my broken one off and buy a new one... where can I get a 14 oz FWW for the 2k-2 that doesn't break off the mounting bolt, please?