Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Rekluse Adjustable Slave Cylinder

I'm not a reviewer and this is my first, so bear with me.

Rekluse just recently released the adjustable slave cylinder for the GG models, I know it works with the Core EXP but not sure if other models apply. Installation makes the clutch adjustable on the side of the trail or at a rest stop/reset a snap. Just carry a 4mm allen in the tool pouch.

They were running an introductory price of $100 for the month of January so I ordered one for my 2010 EC250. Basically it consists of the adjustable slave and a plug to replace the internal adjuster. You pull the clutch cover, remove the Core plate, unscrew the original adjuster, install the new plug with Loctite, reinstall it all back, bleed & install the adjustable slave cylinder, bleed the system and start with the initial setup. Instructions say to turn the adjuster to just feel the throwout touch the new plug, then go 1 full turn + 5 tick marks in as a starting point. Lo and behold, i bottomed out at 3/4 of a turn! I reread the instructions to make sure I was doing it correctly (I was). So I called Rekluse tech and posed my situation, instructions mention a throwout to plug spacer for the orange bikes but nothing for GG. He advised I just grab a washer, .030 or so and install between the throw out bearing and the plug. I found a stainless 3/8 flat washer (.050 thick) that had the right OD and drilled the ID to fit. Eureka !, plenty of adjustment. I tested the free play gain to gain the proper amount, 3mm if memory serves me, which ended up about 1 turn + 1 tick mark in from start. I love it!

I also played with adjustment to experiment. For instance if I turn it in 3-4 tick marks, the power delivers softer, albeit it is slipping the clutch longer before total hookup (more slip = more wear) but in a slick terrain environment it works just like a good trials rider would use the clutch to find grip. Also if you just back the adjuster out a bit farther and the bike can be 'bump' started in an emergency, (think e-start failure) & rode the rest of the day as a normal clutch. It allows total clutch tuning from the outside by a very simple turn of the screw. You don't even need to get off the bike to do it!

I would have to say that IMHO, this is a great upgrade if you already have the Core EXP setup. I would suggest that if you order one, ask them to toss the KTM spacer in with the kit, I'm going to pass that info on to them so it may get taken care of anyway.

Installation was a breeze and if I had the needed spacer upfront this would have been a 30-45 minute install, bleeding the slave system is the longest part of it.

Hope this helps!

2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Excellent info there Fred. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
I'm not a reviewer and this is my first, so bear with me.

Rekluse just recently released the adjustable slave cylinder for the GG models, I know it works with the Core EXP but not sure if other models apply. Installation makes the clutch adjustable on the side of the trail or at a rest stop/reset a snap. Just carry a 4mm allen in the tool pouch.

They were running an introductory price of $100 for the month of January so I ordered one for my 2010 EC250. Basically it consists of the adjustable slave and a plug to replace the internal adjuster. You pull the clutch cover, remove the Core plate, unscrew the original adjuster, install the new plug with Loctite, reinstall it all back, bleed & install the adjustable slave cylinder, bleed the system and start with the initial setup. Instructions say to turn the adjuster to just feel the throwout touch the new plug, then go 1 full turn + 5 tick marks in as a starting point. Lo and behold, i bottomed out at 3/4 of a turn! I reread the instructions to make sure I was doing it correctly (I was). So I called Rekluse tech and posed my situation, instructions mention a throwout to plug spacer for the orange bikes but nothing for GG. He advised I just grab a washer, .030 or so and install between the throw out bearing and the plug. I found a stainless 3/8 flat washer (.050 thick) that had the right OD and drilled the ID to fit. Eureka !, plenty of adjustment. I tested the free play gain to gain the proper amount, 3mm if memory serves me, which ended up about 1 turn + 1 tick mark in from start. I love it!

I also played with adjustment to experiment. For instance if I turn it in 3-4 tick marks, the power delivers softer, albeit it is slipping the clutch longer before total hookup (more slip = more wear) but in a slick terrain environment it works just like a good trials rider would use the clutch to find grip. Also if you just back the adjuster out a bit farther and the bike can be 'bump' started in an emergency, (think e-start failure) & rode the rest of the day as a normal clutch. It allows total clutch tuning from the outside by a very simple turn of the screw. You don't even need to get off the bike to do it!

I would have to say that IMHO, this is a great upgrade if you already have the Core EXP setup. I would suggest that if you order one, ask them to toss the KTM spacer in with the kit, I'm going to pass that info on to them so it may get taken care of anyway.

Installation was a breeze and if I had the needed spacer upfront this would have been a 30-45 minute install, bleeding the slave system is the longest part of it.

Hope this helps!
So I took your recommendation. When I ordered I repeatedly asked to make sure they toss in the washer. They informed me multiple times I would not need it......Well guess what???? They were wrong. I do need it as the adjustment screw bottomed out about 3/4 turn in, where the directions call for 1 full turn plus 5 clicks..... I was not a happy customer about this at all.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
So I took your recommendation. When I ordered I repeatedly asked to make sure they toss in the washer. They informed me multiple times I would not need it......Well guess what???? They were wrong. I do need it as the adjustment screw bottomed out about 3/4 turn in, where the directions call for 1 full turn plus 5 clicks..... I was not a happy customer about this at all.
Definitely needed...
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Great, I have one on order, guess I better give them a call. It would suck to have it come in with plenty of time to get it installed for the weekend and have to wait on a washer.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranger View Post
Great, I have one on order, guess I better give them a call. It would suck to have it come in with plenty of time to get it installed for the weekend and have to wait on a washer.
Or just get your washer ready..
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

What size drill did you need for the hole?
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranger View Post
What size drill did you need for the hole?
1/2" maybe?? Can't quite remember though
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=Fred1956;106900]1/2" maybe?? Can't quite remember though[/QUOTE

They informed me the washer to have inside diameter of 1/2".
Thickness of washer to be 0.75 mm
Old 03-20-2013, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=StuJohnson;106922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
1/2" maybe?? Can't quite remember though[/QUOTE

They informed me the washer to have inside diameter of 1/2".
Thickness of washer to be 0.75 mm
Sounds right, I went to the hardware store and got a stainless steel 3/8" washer, it had the right OD for fitting in the cup. I then drilled the center to 1/2" and cleaned the edge up. My washer was .030" thick which is .74mm or thereabouts. It fits between the throw out and the new plug they send so you need it to be smooth, stainless washer had a good finish on it
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro