Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Lots of dust this year. Hopefully a llittle rain will arrive & knock it down (for a while)

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It cant be any dustier than it was at the Frost Bite White knuckle weekend. My air filter weighed like 3 pounds after a race. The silt was unbelievable there again.

It at least has been raining pretty good a couple times since that double header weekend over there.
But its also windy and there was not much snow pack to keep the ground below moist this winter. So we'll see, after the poker run with probably in the neighborhood of 3000 Saturday and 1000 racers on the course on Sunday, I'm guessing dust will be a huge factor no matter what.

Its part of desert racing.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 PM

You guys have a safe fun ride! Good Luck to all.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yes you guys be safe. Sure sounds like a lot of fun.
Who's gonna post up some pics.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Getting bike ready for Desert 100 had a bit of a scare last night. Wrapped up my maintenance and I always fire it up for a final check. Fired up the bike and it started running like crap, spiting and sputtering then dead. It was running like that in the last race at the end but I had just wrote it off as a severely plugged air filter and limped in on my final lap.

Got up early this morning to try and sort it out. I knew it was electrical as I had already pulled the carb and cleaned it out and the coil had weak spark. So anyways to make a long story short I did many things cleaned stator, checking grounds, wires, etc... hours later I have a running bike Not sure what the problem was. Oh and I found a tiny nick in one of the regulators wires that may have been the culprit. So anyhow I was very stressed and grumpy, now I am back to upbeat and looking forward to the race.

HuskyDude my wife always gets a few Pics and I'll post em up after. The Stumpjumpers and others always take alot of photos and I'll post some of those also when they get them out.

Thanks Guys for wishing us luck out there! We will probably need some. I think it may have already paid of with my bike issue.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM

It's a dusty mess this year.
This is a view of the camp area this afternoon (Saturday. The race is on Sunday) This is a gravel stckpile site for the county. Nothing else is normally here.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 04-10-2010, 03:04 PM

try this a 2nd time...

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM

here's a link for one of the photographers that was on the course. I think there was more than one and I'll post links if I find others.
http://www.allanleahyphoto.com/Racin...35015090_Ne4pN
My son finished and was pretty happy about it. Haven't seen the times or places yet but he was somewhere around 4.5 hrs. Not bad considering biting off 100 miles for a first time race. No bike problems, broken plastic, or broken bones. 2 blisters was all!

'00 XC250 (mine)
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Jeff, tell him congrats. The Desert 100 is a rough first race! Thanks for saying hi at the finish, sorry I wasn't more talkative. 100 miles was a kick in the butt this year.

I can't believe how dusty it was this year. Way worse than the previous two years. The start was a major mess up as some people jumped the gun (err, cannon), but oh well. I still lucked out and had a decent start but rode pretty conservatively to 19th in the 250 class, not sure where overall.

Overall another great time, though next year I'm going to try and get a better camping spot with less dust. We arrived Friday night and there was way more people than last year! The Canadian crew did well - swept the 250 class podium, including a 3rd overall (who lead for about 15 minutes on a 250F!).
Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Hey Jeff I heard you found and met my wife. Sucks our paths never crossed.

My race story is short I DNFed. My Gas Gas let me down about 60 miles in. A half mile after check 3. Man was I tired pushing that bike back cross country to the check. Not sure where the gremlin is yet but I got parts coming to cover all bases. I have a NMA series race this weekend so I need to get it sorted out pronto.

I got a bad start with the false start that happened. One of the course marshals held our section up, then said, oh just go after many, many racers were already under way and making a chocking dust screen. But I made some good decisions that helped me pass many riders, chunks at a time. Was riding good, it was one of those days where your just feeling it. my wife thinks I was in the top 50 or so after my first lap. Pulled my filter skin filled up with fuel and off and now I had clear sailing ahead with little dust then it happened, spit, sputter, miss, choke, cough, die, and my race was over. No spark

So I wait for another chance for revenge of Odessa, until next year.

Ill get some pics up when I have time, I did see I made the cut on Thumpertalks Desert 100 pic thread. That pic was just after my pit stop.

Roscoe