Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Default 2011 ec 300 clutch basket

I'm new to this forum but am dealing with the exact same issues. Just picked up my new 2011 ec 300 sixdays and after riding maybe a total of 100 miles out at Tahuya, I decided the clutch squeal and slipping had to be addressed. Barnetts web site listed a basket that would fit 97-newer 200/250/300 2 strokes. After ordering it, grinding the rivets off my stocker, then realizing it does not fit. I sent barnett pics and an email explaining the issue. They have changed their web site and now the only 2 stroke they have baskets for are the 125's. They said they are going to send me a new OEM basket since mine has been compromised. Of course that does not solve the clutch squeal and slipping problem. Contacted Rekluse and they are testing a couple of prototypes and told me it might be available in approximately 6 weeks. They are also sending me some fasteners so I can drill and tap my stocker to put it back together.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap23 View Post
I'm new to this forum but am dealing with the exact same issues. Just picked up my new 2011 ec 300 sixdays and after riding maybe a total of 100 miles out at Tahuya, I decided the clutch squeal and slipping had to be addressed. Barnetts web site listed a basket that would fit 97-newer 200/250/300 2 strokes. After ordering it, grinding the rivets off my stocker, then realizing it does not fit. I sent barnett pics and an email explaining the issue. They have changed their web site and now the only 2 stroke they have baskets for are the 125's. They said they are going to send me a new OEM basket since mine has been compromised. Of course that does not solve the clutch squeal and slipping problem. Contacted Rekluse and they are testing a couple of prototypes and told me it might be available in approximately 6 weeks. They are also sending me some fasteners so I can drill and tap my stocker to put it back together.
Yep Reiterrider is one of the Rekluse basket testers and has one in his bike. Thats top secret though.

The Barnett does fit other baskets besides the 125. Unfortunately it just depends on the luck of the draw. And from what I'm hearing won't work with a 2011 250 or 300 OEM basket. If Barnett would have supplied the rubber dampers with their unit this would probably be a non issue. The Barnett basket is a sweet unit but this issue has me also with a non usable basket. kdxtreme has a Barrnet in his 2008 300 now installed by peb. He was one of the guys I know who changed his 300's basket to a Barnett and had the right OEM basket in his bike, so it was a non issue.

Mark of Gofasters is headed to Spain and is looking into getting the proper rubber dampers for the Barnett. Unfortunately that will add some more cost to make the Barnett work.

I ended up buying another OEM basket cause I cant afford to wait and my original was toast. Luckily I ended up with the best stocker available like the pics earlier in this thread where the bridges are up on the fingers away from the bottom so the first few plates get oil better. Got to tel ya it broke the bank. If ya know anyone who wants a brand new Barnett in the box never installed for a steal let me know, probably end up on the parts thread. After the stocker purchase I need the dough.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Last edited by REVERUP; 12-17-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: didn't read right
Old 12-19-2011, 02:43 PM

I got a stock OEM replacement basket (which was suppose to be like the one you got but ended up being same dog dish looking thing I already have) and it came as a matched set with the primary gear. Did you change out the primary gear or just install the basket? I'm about to start drilling holes in it and see what happens. I got a new bike and I want to ride it! Any feed back on how the classifed basket is working in the ReiteRooter guys bike? (now that I read it, I 'm pretty sure that is not the right name)

Rob
Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Default rekluse

So far its been great, I'm running the Rekluse manual clutch and basket.
5 hours of riding and its performing perfectly!

2008 KTM 530

Former Fantasies:
2007 KTM 525
2004 Honda CR250R
2011 Gas-Gas EC 300
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
2004 KDX 200
2000 KDX 220
2003 Gas-Gas EC 250
2004 Honda CRF 250X
2005 Honda CRF 250X

What can I say, I'm schizophrenic and ambidextrous!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Thats good to hear. I will plan on getting the hub, pressure plate and clutch kit when the basket becomes available. I will piece mine back together for now and get a few more rides on it. Thanks for the info.

Rob
Old 01-06-2012, 11:49 AM

is there anything I can do wrong when changing clutch plates that can cause the squealing??
My friends 2010 EC 300 Racing has never squealed before. Now after 2 years we change the clutch, and now it makes those noises!! We didn't even remove the basket just the kork and steel plates.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhead View Post
is there anything I can do wrong when changing clutch plates that can cause the squealing??
My friends 2010 EC 300 Racing has never squealed before. Now after 2 years we change the clutch, and now it makes those noises!! We didn't even remove the basket just the kork and steel plates.
You have to soak the friction plates in oil for an hour or two before you install them. Other than that, make sure you end up with the clearance in spec.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM

well, that's one thing i didn't do. Soak them in oil........
you think the squealing comes from that?
I mean I've changed the clutch on my 515 GasGas before and it never made that noise. It's the same plates as on the 300
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhead View Post
well, that's one thing i didn't do. Soak them in oil........
you think the squealing comes from that?
I mean I've changed the clutch on my 515 GasGas before and it never made that noise. It's the same plates as on the 300
Not soaking them can cause them to immediately glaze and then once glazed they can slip, squeal or who knows what else. If they are glazed you can remove the shiny glaze with a cross cut file being careful to only de-glaze them and not remove clutch material.

As far as what caused the squealing, there is long threads about this problem and some seem to be more prone to it than others. Not soaking the frictions first certainly didn't help matters.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Rekluse basket is released part # RMS-4100A

Rekluse is now taking orders for baskets, see your local Gas Gas dealer or call Rekluse.
Thanks.