Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up APT SmartCarb

While perusing facebook one day, I came across the APT SmartCarb.
http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-difference.php
I have a weakness for new gadgets. e-mailed them for more info and the sales rep called me. We spoke in detail about the benefits. There are NO external vents on this carb. The carb has no jets. All adjustments are made with a spring loaded knob on the top of the carb.
So I said what the hell and ordered one.

Got the carb in. Went to mount it up and the throttle cable fitting was way different than the OEM GasGas cable mount. The ferrule where the cable slid into was about 6mm round. Way too big. Also, nothing there to hold the cable in.
Told them what was wrong. They sent me a new carb top. It would not work either.It was designed for the OEM cable that slid into the ferrule. I have a Motion Pro cable with the captured threaded end. After a few back and forth dicussions with the engineeer at APT, the right carb top was sent out.
Future carbs will have the new throttle cable mounts.

Mounted the carb on the bike and it would not start. Found the spark plug was fouled. Contacted APT and found out the floats may bind up in shipping.
To solve that problem,attatch the fuel line to the carb without installing it on the bike and give it a few good shakes. Look for fuel in the carb throat. If none-you're good to go.

Reinstalled the carb. The carb is 3/4" longer then the Keihin carb. It was tricky to install. I had to remove the carb boot off the reed block, slide the carb into position. Reinstall the carb boot, then install the carb into the boot. Then connect the filter side boot. There is no binding of the carb boots with the longer carb.

Kicked the bike over, fired up in 3 kicks. Sounded very raspy and the exhaust smelt different. Idle was fine, so I did not have to adjust the idle.

Took the bike on its maiden voyage the next day.
Bike fired up after 3 kicks and choke on.
Bike ran flawless all day. Thought it lacked some low end grunt, so I clicked the carb adjuster 1 click leaner. Holy crap- bike pulls like a scalded ape. The drive out the corners and out of deep whoops were mind boggling. My bike has NEVER ran this good-even with the OEM carb bored out mod. The bike started so easy-1 kick all day.

The power with this carb is seamless. It just pulls and hooks up. Low end power picked up quite a bit. Mid to top end power is much stronger. Bike revs faster to power out of turns if needed-quick fan of the clutch and you're off.
Mileage is improved. We have a 22 mile loop that we ride on and I have to refill with roughly 1 1/2 gallons. The refill took 1 gallon-eye ball estimate. Probably took 1 1/4 gallons to do the 22 mile loop.
Everyone commented on how good my premix smelt.
You know for a fact the the fuel has a finer atomization and more precise mixture control.

The initial issues I had are all corrected on the production versions. Mine was the first one released to the public.

This cab is pricey, but well worth it. Especially if you don't like messing with jetting.
There is a die cast version coming out that will have a better price point.

Carb on the bike.

Carb needle does have a "taper" to it. Contrary to what I said in another post.