Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Thumbs up Fasstco Handguard Hitch

I've been running Flexx bars since the beginning of 2008 as a way to reduce arm pump. I can't say enough good things about them, but I did have complaints about the barkbuster mounts. Traditional clamps don't work on these bars as they need to allow rotation for the flex to actually work. Last season I used some BRP mounts that were terrible. They used a bolt running through the mount and washers to allow rotation. They didn't work, and the long 6mm bolt was inadequate. I bent many bolts, then managed to break some at the ISDE in Greece. I was not a happy camper with the setup, to say the least.

Finally, this winter Fasstco released their own bark buster mount - the Handguard Hitch. They retail for $79.95. Here's a link: http://www.fasstco.com/products/flexx/acc.shtml. When I pulled them out of the box, I was immediately impressed by the quality of the units - typical Fasstco. Fasstco products are usually on the pricey side, but everything they make is very well thought out and 100% American made. The handguard hitches were no exception and bolted up easily. They came with sleeves to allow proper tightening of them while maintaining smooth flex in the bars. Perfect. Took me about 10 minutes to install them. No tweaking barkbusters, drilling or anything else. Bolt 'em on and go.

Ride: great. These mounts finally let the bars flex the way they should yet provide a sturdy mount. I was really happy to have them at the Desert 100. My hands are fine after 100 miles of brutal desert terrain. I've had a few crashes on them on rocky terrain with no tweaking of the barkbusters (I'm using cycra pro bends, by the way).

Overall, I'd give them 10/10 and a must buy for anyone with Flexx bars. Actually, all of the Fasstco products I have (Flexx bars, Handguard Hitches and Spoke Torque wrench) get a 10/10. They guys at Fasstco are great and I can't speak enough about the quality of their products.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I have them also.
I would rate it a 7.

My bars are older, so the pivot tubes are not threaded for the bark buster mount. They sent me some 4" long bolts that WILL bend in a crash.
When you order them, you need to let them know if your pivot tubes are threaded.

Also, the mounting point where the bark buster mount should be angled about 20 degrees. I had to bend my bark busters quite a bit to make them work.

There are an improvement over the BRP mounts.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM

I ended up buying a new set of Flexx bars with threaded pivots to accomodate the hitch hangers. I'm running Cycra Pro Bends and strangely enough had to bend the ends that attach to the Hanger in a vise. They function very well with the bars. I did have a fall at the last race and the left one was knocked high and out of position. I had to loosen the screw on the Hanger to reposition everything. It's a pricey setup but it works and best of all is American made!
'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM

What bar bends are you guys using? The enduro is still 31" and I typically run my bars just a tad over 30". Don't know if I'm man enough to cut a $330 bar!

Good report on the hitch. I was debating the difference between the BRP @ $50 and the in-house @ $80. Now I know.
2009 KTM 250XC - street legal CO trails connector

2015- Giant Trance carbon advanced-pedal power
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

I have the enduro bend bars.
I took 3/4" off each side and used the A-Tek threaded bar end inserts.
The narrow bars feel more natrual to me.

Really, the ideal set up would be to take the BRP mounts and drill them out to where you can use a pivot sleeve like the Flexx mount.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:24 AM

I run the 10 degree enduro bars (standard height). I don't cut them down - they're narrow enough for the stuff I ride as is.

I tried drilling out the BRP mounts and mounting them like the Fasstco ones - they still suck. Get the Fasstco mounts, end of story.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Yeah, yeah, roll of my wallet, spend the xtra 30....I hear ya!

Don't know if I'm a 10° or a 12° guy. The 10's are OEM on the KTM and the CRF has 12° RC bend bars. Both feel fine and I really don't notice a difference, however the KTM grips really have a funny wear pattern like my hand is putting all the weight on the outside of the grip whereas the CRF grips wear flat. Don't know what that means...anybody?
2009 KTM 250XC - street legal CO trails connector

2015- Giant Trance carbon advanced-pedal power
Old 04-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Usually that comes from the bar being rotated forward and the end turning up due to the sweep. I had this problem a few years back, along with sore numb hands. KTM SX bars mounted (not rotated) forward cured that. Actually the '07 OEM GG/Hebo bars are very close in bend and may end up on my Hypermotard. I like very straight bars, too much sweep really bugs me. I think I could ride with a broomstick.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Glenn I have ridden with a broomstick for handlebars. It was back in my teenage days on a Bultaco. I broke the mounts off hill climbing. The mounts were made into the upper triple clamp and I couldn't get a replacement so I just attached a broomstick to the clamp with wire and keep riding.
I'm more high tech these days (I'm using zip ties to hold the sole on my motocross boot).
Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 PM

I'm running the 12 degree enduro bend. I spoke with Chris at Fasst and he said that is what most people prefer. When standing I do wish my bars were more forward but I'm running a rubber mounted BRP top clamp so I can't move them forward.
'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough