Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure whether it was the base gasket or the o rings in the head but that's where I've narrowed it down to, I'm leaning towards the base gasket as I haven't had the bike running for very long since the rebuild, maybe 5-10min, and there was a fair amount of sludge in the crank, was also a light coating on the top of the piston, I'll flush it out with diesel at some point, right now I'm taking a break from it so I don't get upset and break something, I hate to admit it but I'm starting to think I should've just gone to a mechanic to start with, ahh well lesson learned I guess

Old 05-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

By chance did you use the very thin (paper thin) gasket by itself? That one is a spacer and not a gasket. Also did you clean both the cases and cylinder base very well so there were no bumps. Also make sure there were no gouges in either that could result in a leak.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
By chance did you use the very thin (paper thin) gasket by itself? That one is a spacer and not a gasket. Also did you clean both the cases and cylinder base very well so there were no bumps. Also make sure there were no gouges in either that could result in a leak.
I like to smear a little high temp silicone over the join in the cases (front and back) before dropping the gasket on too!
Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 PM

I used two of the black base gaskets as that's what the previous owner had on, I've go to order another gasket set next week as I tore both PV cover gaskets taking the jug off again so I'll use fresh ones when I reassemble this time as well as take my time to clean it very thouroughly and will take jakobi's advice and use a bit of silicone on the case joins, will post up when I've made more progress,
Old 05-11-2018, 04:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your coolant leak...

Don't give up! Get the coolant leak fixed then you can continue and find the problem of your loss of power.

Take your time and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and any old gasket material is removed, just a small bit of debris can result in a bad seal or a leak.

Don't use anything too sharp or abrasive to clean the surfaces, it's very easy to dig into the alloy. I just replaced my piston kit and I used an old credit card to scrape away the old gasket that was stuck to the crank cases. Stuff a clean rag into the crankcases, around the conrod to prevent any debris falling down into the cases.

Always use a torque wrench to ensure the cylinder barrel and cylinder head are pulled down evenly.

Good luck, you'll get there!