Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scotts steering damper: mounting preference

Background Info:
I recently bought a used Scotts steering damper. As a suspension guy, I've always been curious about their benefits and decided to try it out first hand. I've been researching the different mounting options and weighing out the pros/cons of each. You can mount them above the bar (traditional way), under the bar (SUB mount), or above the front fender (like WER).

Here's my current opinions (based on fatty bars):
Above the handlebar:
Pros:
  • No limitations on bar choices - can tailor the height/sweep very easily.
  • Easier to swap between multiple bikes if needed.
  • Easier to remove off the bike in case of damage from crash.
  • Mounting kit is less expensive
Cons:
  • Damper stares at you while riding... Murphy's law says you will hit it someday.
  • Damper could be damaged more easily in a crash.

Below the handlebar (SUB mount):
Pros:
  • More concealed for protection from crashes.
  • Cleaner look (less obtrusive)
  • Reduced chances of hitting it with your body.
Cons:
  • Raises bars up about 25mm.
  • Must use low rise bars to recover any height issues.
  • More limited bar choices.
  • Most expensive mounting option.

Above the front fender:
Pros:
  • Preserves your current handlebar setup.
Cons:
  • Risk of crash damage while riding singletrack (getting hit by branches).
  • Difficult to adjust while riding.

If you are using a Scotts damper, let me know what mount you are using and what you think of it. I'm hoping to hear some more personal experiences.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 PM

I don't neccessarily agree with the added safety of the sub mount, think about this: Assume you will choose a handlebar bend for each mount type to acheive the same overall position, that is with the top mount you run higher rise bars, sub mount lower rise bars. With either mount, the distance between your chest and the hard parts is going to be a function of the handlebar rise. The only difference is what you could possibly hit, the damper(top mount) or the bar clamp(sub mount). An argument could be made for the addition of a pad with the sub mount, but this makes adjustment difficult.

The tower will see less stress with a sub mount, due the shorter length.

The sub mount limits your choice in bars unless you like real high bars.

From my experience with the WER damper on a fender mount, it will get hammered.

I've been running one for 9 years now with top mounts on many bikes. No problems. If I happened to really like a bar rise/sub mount combo, I might go that way, but I wouldn't do it and compromise on bar choice.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just picked up the ProTect SUB mount for mine. It's a very nice unit and raises the bars and moves them forward. I'm a short guy and do not notice the change. In fact I think I like the new location better.

Check them out here:
http://www.ptenduro.com/02products/products01.html

The one problem is that the stock speedometer will not fit because it hits the clamp. Although I don't think that is an issue for many because they have already replaced it.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The only difference is what you could possibly hit, the damper(top mount) or the bar clamp(sub mount). An argument could be made for the addition of a pad with the sub mount, but this makes adjustment difficult.
There is also a pad option available for top mounts.
http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/damper_pads.html

How much it actually helps is questionable... like you said it really depends on what you hit.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM

The dirt-bike-gear pad is nice. I've had one for a while and it fits nice and snug and is pretty beefy for a pad.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:10 PM

I've made a few submounts. There is an advantage not listed - it's harder to walk off with a submounted damper. The reduced stress on the tower that GMP mentioned results in much smoother damper action.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. You guys brought up a valid point on the submount. The lower tower height would reduce the stress on the tower and damper.

I have been using a 15mm riser under my bar mounts and its been comfortable to ride with. This past weekend, I removed it to simulate a lower bar height (stock height) for the above-style mounted damper. I noticed my lower back was more tender by the end of the ride. While it helped lower my CG, I think that I like the taller height better. Next week, I will swapped it with a 25mm riser and try it out. This will be an easy way to compare the final ride heights.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the submount-style but need to figure out my handlebar options (i.e., rise vs. sweep, etc..) to ensure that I could obtain a similar overall feel like my current setup.