Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Default GoPro chest trauma?

I was just thinking about the safety of attaching a gopro to your body.
Perhaps someone with a doctor friend could ask them this question. If you have a gopro strapped to your chest and come off and land full impact flat on your chest on hardpack or rock what are the health risks? I am guessing it could be quite serious but I am not a doctor

Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I was just thinking about the safety of attaching a gopro to your body.
Perhaps someone with a doctor friend could ask them this question. If you have a gopro strapped to your chest and come off and land full impact flat on your chest on hardpack or rock what are the health risks? I am guessing it could be quite serious but I am not a doctor
Likely no worse than landing on the rock itself in the first place, but then you'd be out a camera too

Around here lots of guys mount GoPros to the tops of their helmets - I'd be worried about catching a limb and torquing your neck. The slickest set-up I've seen is the Liquid Image goggle camera - true point-of-view filming and the most protected.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

My mount is hard against the body armour and only held with 2 x velcro straps. In a big impact I imagine the camera would break. The chest plate should also spread the forces some before transferring to the body. I agree probably just like landing on a rock.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 AM

about 1/10th what it does when it catches a vine and tries to remove you from the bike

I had to learn that lesson a couple times, mine is now attached to my chest protector, I use the big black plastic thing they come attached to in the box, I cut it down drilled holes in it and zip tied it to my chest protector
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
about 1/10th what it does when it catches a vine and tries to remove you from the bike

I had to learn that lesson a couple times, mine is now attached to my chest protector, I use the big black plastic thing they come attached to in the box, I cut it down drilled holes in it and zip tied it to my chest protector
I have sticky mounts front & back of my chest protector. here's an example of first time use...great view of the pad

http://youtu.be/3Oa_6yW9m20
Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Under visor is very good. A little custom work but when done right its out of the way of getting snagged and you don't even notice it. On the chest protector the size of the GoPro is nothing compared to anything else in the woods to hit or fall on. I think before that happens I'd smash it on the steering damper getting over the bars.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Under visor is very good. A little custom work but when done right its out of the way of getting snagged and you don't even notice it. On the chest protector the size of the GoPro is nothing compared to anything else in the woods to hit or fall on. I think before that happens I'd smash it on the steering damper getting over the bars.
I see it like this...If you are ripping through the woods, or wherever, you are making a somewhat expensive gadget quite disposable. At any given moment, a tumble off the bike could destroy the camera...It doesn't matter where it's mounted on your person. I am good with that fact(on my 2nd GoPro in 18 months).
Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
That is my preferred placement. The first time I raced with my GoPro I had it on top of my helmet. On the first lap it got knocked upwards by a small face slapper. Pretty much tree tops for the rest of the HS. I moved it under my visor and it's been there ever since. Well protected, even survived a nasty face plant crash [4 ribs did not] pre running for the 2010 Baja 1K. When looking at it [attachment], you would think the placement would interfere with my vision ... not once have I noticed it while riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The+Rattler+402-1335427023-O.jpg (70.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM

I could never ride like that, one of my helmets it wont fit, and the other one the visor is just entering my vision at it's highest point

I really dislike helmet mounted video, aka vomit cams, I cant watch them unless the rider never ever turns his head
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Ok so general consensus is that I have been watching too much Greys anatomy!
Anyway I figured I would have bigger problems as my head would most likely hir the ground before my chest!