Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telman View Post
Thanks Jakobi, I got the User Manual but I was hoping to find a Service Manual with detail on valve clearance procedures etc. The 2003 FSE 400 manual is titled Service Manual but is only a User Manual.
IMO this is the biggest downfall with Gas Gas. Coming from a Yamaha where the Service Manual is a full workshop manual, exploded views, directions, torque values, all neatly located together, to this where I can't find anything without searching deep. When you find important info I suggest saving it on your pc where you can find it again later. Good luck with the search

Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
IMO this is the biggest downfall with Gas Gas. Coming from a Yamaha where the Service Manual is a full workshop manual, exploded views, directions, torque values, all neatly located together, to this where I can't find anything without searching deep. When you find important info I suggest saving it on your pc where you can find it again later. Good luck with the search
When I was a dealer, I was using this desktop computer as my personal business computer. I downloaded everything that I could get from GasGas, and still have most of it available to me.

Is there a place on this site, or any other, to which I can upload the manuals?
(I have the original 2002-2003 FSE400 workshop manual, as well as the larger file of the 2004-2005 FSE450 manual, and also the 2-stroke workshop manual.)

Tip: Any time the file is a true shop manual, it will originally have the word "teller" or "taller" in the name. If mine don't, it just means that I changed the name.

Other than that, if anyone wants a copy of one of the files, pm me with your email address, and I'll pass the file along.

If I email anyone a file, please, before it is shared with others, remove my information from any emails before forwarding them. Please help me fight "spammers" and "phishers", and protect my privacy.

The files are pdf files (I read them using adobe acrobat reader.) and are respectively, (2002-2003 4-t) 2,274KB, (2004-2005 4-t) 5,103KB, and (2006 2-t) 2,479KB; so make sure that your email will accept them. I will only send one manual per email, to keep the email size as small as possible.
The original 4-t and the 2-t manuals are for the engine only.
The 2004-2005 4-t manual was needed due to design updates in the engine. It also has a lot more information and photos of/about the bike. If I had the older GasGas engined 4-stroke, I would get both manuals.

Good Riding!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 AM

Thanks Jim

PM sent, and a great idea to upload to this site if that is possible.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up

Telman,
An email with the two 4-stroke manuals attached has been sent.

One thing I found as a FSE400 owner, was that the starter was the same as a Yamaha starter... with modifications.
The modification was needed because of the difference in what area of the starter was exposed, to be able to connect the starter power cable.
To explain further: the bolt where the cable attaches comes out of the starter in a different location than was originally designed for Yamaha application.

This caused two problems:
1. On the early FSE, where the starter is down low in the front of the cylinder, there is a rubber plug in the side of the GG starter. This plug is located where the originally engineered "starter cable bolt" was supposed to be located. In certain conditions, this plug can allow water and mud to pass, which will eventually cause the starter to fail.
My fix for this was to completely cover and seal over the rubber plug with "QuickSteel" metal epoxy. (Quicksteel is now owned and sold as a "J&B Weld" product. It looks like a large Tootsie Roll, with two different color materials in the stick; darker in the middle.) This stopped the moisture problem caused by deep creek crossings.
Ricky Stator was an excellent resource for replacement parts to the starter, including the square formed o-ring which seals where the segments of the starter are put together. If anyone disassembles their starter for any reason, I highly recommend replacing the o-ring.

2: Second problem: Since the bolt to attach the starter cable emerges from a different location than what was designed, there is no internal tabs, or bracing, to hold the bolt stationary when loosening or tightening the nut on the bolt.
When removing or tightening the nut, one must make sure that the bolt doesn't turn, or it will damage the connection with the starter's brushes. I got in the habit of securing the bolt with needle nose vice grips as I tightened or loosened the bolt connecting the cable.

Any way that I can help, just let me know.

If this post now qualifies for a different part of the forum, I apologize.
If need be, someone please move it to the proper "on topic" forum area.

Good Riding!
Jim
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM

A long time KTM owner here, just picked up my first GG - got what I considered a great deal, so I pulled the trigger. Have always been intrigued with theses bikes, and looking forward to comparing the ride and learning about my new toy.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Just purchased and am waiting for my first gasgas. It's a 2012 EC300. Been ridng 4 strokes for yrs, so im looking forward to learning the 2t way.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome and Good Riding!
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:58 PM

Been a KTM rider from 98 until 2012. New GasGas XC 2013. Started looking
when KTM started the rear linkage thing. Work on a few friends Gasser and
like the motor, but the bike was a bit tight for me. Even so those bike
turned which I was never able to get the KTM to do. Well when the new Gasser
came out it got me thinking and a friend offering me good $ for my 11 KTM. I
made the move, the bike is eye candy for sure. It is more roomier than the
older Gasser for sure. Been working the bugs out of it, you know getting it
to fit me and work the way I want it to. Had LTR do the suspension for me,
which I have to do to all my bike, being 6'5" and 265lbs. Some little
adjustments and WOW does this thing track and turn, which is the weirdest
thing when you try to move it around in the garage it take a couple of
movements to turn around compare to the KTM. Overall very happy with this
change.
03 H-D Nightrain
www.newoodsriders.com
You Can't Out Run Death Forever
But You Can Make the BASTARD Work For It!
Enjoy Life, Have Fun and Play Hard
Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up

Welcome to the GasGas riders community.

Good Riding to You!
Jim Cook

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Just thought I would share my recent OEM parts purchase experience. I live in Oregon and have always purchased parts from Gofaster in the past. I'm in the process of servicing the top end of my EC250. I ordered all the necessary gaskets from Bill's in Salem, Oregon. I received all my parts in about a week. The parts seemed cheaper than in the past, but I can't confirm that. I'm glad I can go to my local dealer now. Hope everyone else has good experiences also.
1974 XL125