Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM

I fractured my sternum last Sept so I have been looking for a better chest protector. I have looked at all the full body protectors like the previous posts have talked about but living in the deep south, I knew they would just be too hot for any kind of use. I am looking for a padded CP. I was wearing a Fox CP when I hit the tree that cracked my sternum and it was just clear plastic and it cracked. I guess it helped some but if it had some padding to distribute the impact a bit, would have been much better, I believe.

I have since gone back to my old Sinisalo Force CP which has some padding
but it could be better.

Anyhow, not meaning to hijack your thread, it sounds like you are really looking for elbow guards. I have run elbow guards since the early 90's and they have saved me a bunch of pain, bumps and bruises. What I do is get a good pair of elbow guards, I am using Thor right now, but there are a bunch of good guards on the market, Fox, Thor, 661 etc. I drill a hole in the upper part of the guard just above the elbow area which would fall behind your arm
and on your CP upper arm guard drill another hole, take a zip tie and tie the
elbow guard loosely to the upper arm guard of the CP. This way you
don't have to worry about a too tight elbow guard causing arm pump.

Hallman used to offer, back in the mid 80's, a killer CP, full coverage (back and front) with snap on elbow guards that actually really protected your upper body and wasn't just cosmetic. I wish some company would come up with another one like it.