Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 PM

I don't suppose you could send the re-valve data to Marzocchi and GG, can you?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 AM

I would really have to leave that up to the tuner.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Someone mentioned that there are riders who will not post on this subject and that person is dead on correct. I suppose it depends on how you look at Forums and the value they provide. IMO a forum that is designed for KTM or for Gas Gas rarely brings in people who brand bash, period. I have seen a lot of this behavior on places like Thumpertalk where multiple brand loyalists are present at the same time. However, in a specific forum, such as this one, people tend to freely discuss issue's and make statements they believe are true with the general attitude they are helping or seeking help with a specific problem. Rarely will a person buy a GG, sign up, and then tear down the brand. For me, I would just get rid of the bike and move on.

Moving on. I personally value all of this information since I am not made of money and need to fix problems, if they exsist, on my own. Some of you state things like send it to a pro. IMO that is just not acceptable. Some people are very capable and willing to do their own work. They just need advise or help. I personally don't find it helpful to be told to send it to someone to have it fixed. I am the type of person who wants to understand the process and in turn understand the mechanics of what is going on. I really like being able to tune my own suspension during a race, a training session, or a trail ride and actually know what I am doing.
Thank you for those who built this forum and thank you for those willing to help all of us non-factory guys out since we don't have bottom-less bank accounts.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
Moving on. I personally value all of this information since I am not made of money and need to fix problems, if they exsist, on my own. Some of you state things like send it to a pro. IMO that is just not acceptable. Some people are very capable and willing to do their own work. They just need advise or help. I personally don't find it helpful to be told to send it to someone to have it fixed. I am the type of person who wants to understand the process and in turn understand the mechanics of what is going on. I really like being able to tune my own suspension during a race, a training session, or a trail ride and actually know what I am doing.
Thank you for those who built this forum and thank you for those willing to help all of us non-factory guys out since we don't have bottom-less bank accounts.
Brent: There are benefits to working with professionals ... they/we get paid for our knowledge and experience and tools etc. You get a job done that you may not otherwise have been able to get done, either in terms of time or money.

On the other hand, I'm all for guys working on their own equipment - the knowledge base increases, you're a better rider for it, and you didn't drop a bunch of cash and wait two weeks while your suspension or engine bounced from one shipping dock to another.

I've sold suspension codes in the past and had the rider do the work himself, and all parties were fine with that, because he was competent, the forks didn't leave his garage, and no time or money was lost on shipping. He did not pass on that code however - that would be like stealing software , and likely not directly applicable to another rider anyway

Feel free to post your concerns with your suspension, and guys (myself and others) will point you in the direction you need to go (eg. increase your spring rate, reduce low speed compression) but you're likely in for a more iterative process than if you sent it out to me (or Les, or whomever).

Enjoy the ride !
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Since you are a faster rider than most those 48mm CC forks coming on the race model would probably be great for you.

If I won the lottery I'd sponsor you and buy you a race model.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=thumperrider1;64870]Since you are a faster rider than most those 48mm CC forks coming on the race model would probably be great for you.

Agreed somewhat. These bikes are sold as race bikes, even standard EC models. There are decals all over these things from the factory that state for closed course competition use etc.....

Yes a 48mm CC fork will without a doubt be a superior fork, but a standard 45mm Zoke fork shipped to a customer on a standard "race" EC should also be acceptable.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Two wheels: I don't disagree with you. However, when a guy pukes out $8k for a bike and is not happy some people feel pretty emotional that the poor guy wants to do his own work. I really hate that some people feel like the average joe is not capable of fixing his own bike. There is no patent for turning a wrench.

When I was at 6 days in Portugal I was struggling with the KTM settings. I asked my team mates for advice and we all compared notes. I got some good advice, dialed the bike in, and settled in. This was free advice that was shared amongst motobretheren.

Having said that I have spent some time helping a guy who bought a 2011 300 here in my area. He is a friend and we have been working on his bike to dial it for him. Interestingly, his bike and mine came set up much differently from the factory. I am tearing his forks apart this week to see why they felt, in stock form, so much differently than mine. It is strange how much different the two IDENTICAL bikes are from each other.

I love my GG though. This bike has been through a couple thousand miles of hell. I wish I could have shipped it to Finland to race the ISDE this year but I can not afford 2 bikes. Grrrrr Need to buy lotto tickets.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Interesting hearing about others having shim stacks fall apart on dissasembly. The first time we took mine apart the first stack fell apart and the other was loose. Does anyone from GG factory read these posts? If they do, do they have any feedback or solutions. It seems that the factory could get us a baseline that is closer to rideable. I realize that everyone has different preferances, but nobody can ride my bike the way the forks came. I had a 145 lb pro try it, and a 170 lb slow guy ride it. Both said in stock form it was unrideable. I did ride a regular 2011 300 and the suspension was way too soft compared to the mx rock I got. Are all the forks the same on the same model (six day to six says) or do they throw on what ever is laying around at the time? Again, i'm not bashing. I am just curiously frustrated with the whole Process.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM

I'm stunned that there hasn't been commentary from GG, Marzocchi and even Ohlins bigwigs throughout the known world.

What's up with that?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I'm stunned that there hasn't been commentary from GG, Marzocchi and even Ohlins bigwigs throughout the known world.

What's up with that?
Did you ever do something dumb and then have your girlfriend ask you why you did it?
And you sort of sit there, trying to think of a good answer?
And there just isn't one?

I hate when that happens.

-dean
Nothing takes the past away like the future -K&D