Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:06 AM

Default Used bike inspection

I found a bike I am interested in.

Issue that the sellers say's "Carb needs rebuilt then your good to go". As with anything used equipment inspect it!

So, what can I do to inspect the motor and make sure it is ok without it firing up due to carb no working right? I know to roll it and see if it's locked up some of the basic stuff.

Any tricks or tips for this?

Price is cheap and it's an older bike. 98' but pictures show it to not be to rough.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
I found a bike I am interested in.

Issue that the sellers say's "Carb needs rebuilt then your good to go". As with anything used equipment inspect it!

So, what can I do to inspect the motor and make sure it is ok without it firing up due to carb no working right? I know to roll it and see if it's locked up some of the basic stuff.

Any tricks or tips for this?

Price is cheap and it's an older bike. 98' but pictures show it to not be to rough.
If it were an easy fix like a carb...the current owner would have already fixed it.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
If it were an easy fix like a carb...the current owner would have already fixed it.

I have found this not to be true. There are so many lazy people out there its amazing. I buy and sell several bikes a year. Most of them actually just need a carb cleaning. Sometimes reeds on ine occasion a top end but I did a compression test before i bought it. I always do. I tell the owner i need an hour and tell them what I'm going to do. I will say i never pay more than $500 for a bike that isn't running and I cant test ride. Mostly I pay $300ish. I tell this to the owner up front. More often than not they say no. Thats fine there are always deals. I then walk away to find another.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Very true, ad said it's been sitting for 3 years in the garage. So who knows...

One thing that interest me in items like this; People loose interest and then park items when nothing is really wrong with them. Friend of mine has a TRX70 Honda, I offered to buy for my kids. They said "No Way", it has been sitting under a deck for at least two years. Nothing wrong with it, they just don't want to sell nor do they want to ride it.

Sometimes people have lost a family member and can't bear to part with items till long after they are gone, seen this in my family!

So, how do I check a motor when the carb is not working right? Not saying this is the case on this bike. But I have seen it happen more times than I can count.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:30 AM

pull the plug and pour an ounce or so of fuel down the hole and see if it will fire up?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Check for spark
Check for compression
Check the oil

You can spry some carb cleaner and kicked to see if start for a second or two.
If you can hear it running and the price is right you can take the chance.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:27 PM

If i cant ride it and shift through all the gears i dont consider it "running". The reason I'm militant about it is I've been burned in the past ran briefly. Heard it. It it home cleaned the carb ran great put it in gear and heard a box of rocks. List money

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 PM

If you really need to hear it run bring the carb and cable from your bike. The owner may frown upon this idea if its not an easy fix of the carb as he claims.