Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Barnett kevlar clutch kit review

I recently had purchased and tried my first non OEM replacement clutch on my Gas Gas. Here is my experience with the Barnett Kevlar clutch kit.

The kit comes with everything you need, springs, friction plates,and the tempered steel metal plates, also a installation sheet. The sheet basically tells you: before you install, soak the friction plates in clean gear oil for I believe it suggested for at least 20 minutes and then install as your manual explains. I inspect the friction plates to see what this Kevlar coating looks like and it to me resembles something of the consistency of a tough cardboard. Price $129.99

What I found after following direction and installing this unit was my clutch had pretty good feel and good lock up in my driveway.

I take the bike out the next day and go test it in real world conditions. I must say it wasn't what I hoped I was buying. It locks up good but on initial clutch slip it made a hell of a racket and does not engage really smooth after it warms up. So I figure maybe its the springs it came with and I pull it apart to put my stock springs in and inspect the clutch plates. The friction plates look new but the steel plates look all blued from the heat build up in them after one trail ride. I slap it back together and try it again with the old OEM springs and it seemed somewhat better. I decide to leave the clutch in for my upcoming race as it was only slightly technical terrain and was pretty open and knew I wouldn't be abusing the clutch as much as if it was the tight nasties. It worked throughout the race but was more like an on off switch and made horrible noise if abused and heated up fast. So thinking something else was wrong ( a crack in the basket or something I couldn't find under inspection) I replaced the Barnett kit with a used OEM clutch from my 2004 that still had some life in it to see how it reacted. It worked flawlessly and still remains in my bike as I wright this! This after 3 races and a few trail rides.

I have always heard other racers I know say replace with an OEM clutch when replacing your clutch cause an aftermarket one just wont cut it. And because of that I always have bought OEM, but I finally tried aftermarket, thinking I was buying a top of the line clutch kit. I definitely learned for my self that OEM is a better way to go when it comes to clutch kits as you know what your purchasing.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Last edited by REVERUP; 08-03-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: last sentence didn't read right

Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Site Sponsor

Barnett clutches are a marginal replacements at best. At half the cost a lot of people try and save a few bucks, over buying OEM plates and springs, but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for!" For most hobby riders they are OK but for the serious off-roader they should not be an option.

I believe the Barnett fiber clutch plates fit all of the 1996 through present 200 / 250 / 300 / 400 / 450 applications while the Barnett steel clutch plates only work up until 2004 and 2005. The current inner cutch basket was redesigned for 2006 and the Barnett steel plates will not work in 2006 and 2007 bikes.

Although the GasGas OEM clutch plates are spendy they are, IMO, by far superior to what any other brand has for OEM clutch plates. The GasGas clutch is based on the GasGas trials clutch were clutch feel and durability is king.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Yep, I definitely learned a lesson, Won't happen again. Ya, I probably should have mentioned the incompatibility of the Barnett steel plates on the 2006 and up baskets also in my review.
My OEM steel plates always come out looking practically new so I didn't think much of it. But when I put the Barnett friction plates in with the OEM steel plates and tested the clutch and after only a few rides they came out discolored from the heat build up and I had to junk em cause I didn't want to chance them being warped really proved that OEM is the only way to go for me. What's strange is, the Barnett steel plates don't fit the 2006 basket but I could of swore I used the OEM steel plates from my 2004 in my 2006 basket. I may have just confused the many used spares I had waiting for emergency use as I was choosing the best I had on hand. Or are the OEM steel plates like the friction plates, where they will fit either basket design?

Anyhow, I'm sure I will be in touch for a new OEM clutch kit soon. Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!