Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 AM

Default Electrical Issues '03 EC200

Hey guys.

I've been chasing around an issue on my bike now for a while, basically, it starts fairly ok when cold, but has not a hope in hell when its warm. We put it down to something going wrong in the carby and tidied that all up, runs great, but still would not start hot. Put new rings in, pulling like a train, but do you think it will start hot? Nope.

So we've been doing some electrical testing, surprise, not spark when hot, and minimal when cold. For a while there, roll starting was all good, would get the engine turning enough to fire it over, not these days. Its gotten worse.

So, everyone's thinking Stator right? Thats what we thought, but the Stator looks fine, no wear or marks or anything. The bloke that owned it before my mate that I bought it from was a little rough, and left a lot of work to be desired... It came with the stock speedo, and I tried to wire it up but it was knackered, and the wiring behind the headlight is an absolute mess. I'm running a Trail Tech Vapour, and this problem may have happened not long after I installed that unit. We're thinking that maybe the unit is drawing power from the ignition system?? I'm pretty sure dad wired it up to the wire from the kill switch? This seemed like a good idea at the time? Also, we unravelled the mess around the CDI, and there is a loose WHITE white hanging around there, coming up from the stator.

From dad's limited knowledge of electrics (he's a diesel mechanic from way back) he reckons the stator appears to be a two phase unit, but only one phase seems to be in use for motor and ansillaries (spelling?). Can anyone shed any light on this?

What we want to know is,

A) How do people hook up after market speedos? (wire colours and stuff would be fantastic)
B) Is hooking the speedo unit up to the kill switch wire a baaad idea?
C) What is that white wire supposed to do?
D) Should that second phase be doing anything to help drive things like lights and speedo units?
E) Does anyone have any other random bits of information that could help on this issue? As a GasGas Rider, I understand that there quite likely is haha.

Thanks heaps guys,

Ben

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires

Old 09-15-2009, 10:12 AM

I think they wisely use a different phase for lighting to ignition. This way horrors can occur on the lighting side without stopping it running. Think there's a wiring diagram on this site somewhere. If not it's probably in one of the downloadable manuals.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM

No worries. Thats what I thought, but one of the phases appears to have nothing attached to it? The bike's been messed around with by the original owner, so i have no idea if what I am seeing is how it should be. I think I found a wiring diagam in one of those downloadable manuals

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Default Bad Stator

I think you have a bad stator .Here are the reading I took from my new "OEM GasGas Stator" Pulser coil gap 0.75mm Red-Green 100 ohms Red meter to green cable - black meter to red cable - remove spark plug kick hard 5 times should read 5 volts. + - 1 volt . Stator, Exciter Coil red meter to black/red cable - black meter to red/white cable 27.0 ohms kick start 5 times 18 volts ac . I hope this helps Lance larsson
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Ok, dad and I did some tests, and here's what we came up with (not sure if I've got this right as dad took to the measurements and IM having a hard time reading his notes) Ive got the specs from the manual as well;

*Italiscized writing from the manual

'Impulse coil Red - Green 100 ohms +/- 20%' We got 106 Ohms and 0 volts

Exciter Black/Red - Red/White 12.7 ohms +/- 20% We got 13.5 ohms and 16 volts

Charge coil Yellow - Earth 0.67 ohms +/- 20% We got 1.8 ohms

White - Yellow 0.16 ohms +/- 20% We got 2.0 ohms

Does anyone know what this is telling me? If what Im saying doesnt sound right let me know and Ill get dad to reclairfy what he wrote here.

And I still have that nasty issue of the white wire not attached to anything. Does anyone know where its supposed to go?

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM

looks like an issue with the white wire? Are these readings when the bike is cold and will run or are they taken after it warms up and won't restart?
I think you need to check both and compare.
As far as where the white wire goes check this schematic from SideshowBob,
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5286
It shows the white wire not being used.
Good luck.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 AM

This measurements are being taken at bone cold. Ill check out that wiring diagram now and see about that white wire

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Default I'm thinking it's the cdi box..

I have a '01 EC200 with similar issues.
What colour is the sleeve around the wiring exiting the CDI box?
Nick