Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Suggestion Box

Suggestion Box Help us make this place the best it can be!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Regional trail reviews

How about trails listed by regions with reviews about terrain weather and difficulty as well as permits fees and parking info.

Riders could post their own review after riding the area and maybe even give it a rating with stars 1-5.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Site Sponsor

if anyone needs reviews or recomendations for hatfield -mccoy trails, let me know - i've done just about every single one of them on multiple occasions...even in the winter... and i have good rec's on where to stay etc...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 08-18-2010, 04:43 AM

stainless,

I always wanted to go down there, but there is such a vast amount of trails in different areas it could be hit or miss. All of the recomendations I have personally had have been from quad riders, and some of the bike guys I've talked too said it was a quadtard fest if your in the wrong place.

So, what is a good long weekend (3-4 days) plan for a B rider who likes tighter stuff where the majority of quads don't go. I'm a good rock rider but maybe throw in a some less extreme options the wife and kids could do if I decided to make it a family trip.

I heard the elevation changes on the road are extreme and to leave the camper home and save the brakes, stay in the local accomodations instead.

Thanks, I think this would be good info for most of us who are considering a trip there.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Site Sponsor

keep this in mind - if you go weekdays, there is almost no one on the trails. i can ride all day weekdays and see less than 10 riders. this is the best..

if you want single track, by far the best (and least ridden) is matewan (buffalo mountain). if you want fast single track, rockhouse is also good, there are some extremely difficult trails at both rockhouse and buffalo mountain. i've been stuck good at both of these on my trials bike...

the quads are out in full force on weekends at rockhouse and little coal river...

little coal river is definitely skippable, it's a bit more sandy, and mostly beginner type quad trails. it's the closest one to me, but i skip it. it's very family oriented..

rockhouse is definitely rocky.. there are lots of sections that are solid flat rock, and lotsa babyhead on hillclimbs. rockhouse is more 'groomed' to some extent.

rockhouse is also the one that is designed best for out of state visitors..

you could spend a FULL day at each easily (you can easily spend 2 or 3 days at rockhouse...or buffalo mountain if you decide to do the really challenging trails.....DO NOT start a black trail late in the day. i've heard of people spending 4 + hours on black trails rockhouse that are only 2 or 3 miles long... ) for example, i can go down trail 199 at rockhouse in about 20 minutes. it takes a long time going up it...you could spend between an hour and 3 doing it... here's a vid going the uphill way - it's only a snippet of it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUY1DnU_w3o

i would start south and work north. buffalo mountain to rockhouse to bear wallow...

bear wallow has about half of it shut down (or did last year) due to blasting in the area.

their trail marking system is accurate. sometimes you enter a black trail and think, this is easy, then you get to some crazy section.....and you understand why it's marked like that....

i would not recommend going in the heat of summer. the trails get really dusty.
matewan is very challenging in the winter. last time i went there was 6 inches of snow on the ground.

oh, if you have any 'fear of heights' issues, hatfield mccoy may not be for you. there are LOTS of sheer drop offs, and treacherous stuff. definitely bring spare tube or run tubliss/mousse i've pinch flatted more than once there. not had a problem since switching to tubliss.

oh, and none of the videos really show the magnitude of these trail systems, nor the elevation changes. there are some serious hills.. and each system is big enough to get lost in. i carry maps of the trails in a plastic sleeve sheet protector zip tied to my handle bars, so i can navigate quickly. i also carry several copies of the maps in ziplock bags hidden away. without a map you can get pretty lost, even though trails are very well marked.

90% of the time i ride alone there. probably not the smartest, but that's how it is. there is spotty cell service on the trails.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Relative to the request for new trail forum/rating system - please use the existing regional forums and if it gets unwieldy - we can talk about doing something more.

jeff
Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
90% of the time i ride alone there. probably not the smartest, but that's how it is. there is spotty cell service on the trails.
Not good at all!

Look into the Spot tracking system. Your loved ones would rest easier...