Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Default 2015 250 jetting NEDW

So I removed the stock N1EF on 3rd clip and put in a NEDW on the scond clip 175 main(stock), 42 PJ(stock), stock 7 slide. I'm super rich! Smoking like crazy and all blubbery with no power. 25? F, 800 ft....Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by MOGaser; 02-05-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

How did it run with the stock needle?
I would think it should be a little lean at your temp.
You are counting clip position from the top of needle?
One thing that has been a problem spot for me is the choke cable, holding choke slightly on.
Did you set the float level? (another problem spot)
Not sure on the newer bikes, but my 250 loves the JD blue needle.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Running the exact same set up on my 2014 but on the 3rd clip. I ran the second clip in 37f and it was too lean. Had to drop a position for the cold and now it is spot on. I also came from the stock needle.

Sounds like something else is wrong. You should not be rich by any means with that set up but if anything lean.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:09 PM

I though it would be lean too for the temp. It was a tad blubbery with the stock needle, but just until it cleaned out. I set the float at 8mm, and yes counted 2 from the top on the needle. Funny thing you talk about the choke cable because I thought it seemed like a choke issue. It sounds and feels like the choke is on. I took it off and reassembled it back into the carb. Same result. I wonder if its not closing all the way? I might try to delete the cable choke and just get a regular pull knob... I put the floats back to stock and getting ready to see how it runs.

Last edited by MOGaser; 02-05-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:24 PM

The choke pull knob came with my bike tool kit.
Although I like the choke cable it has been a problem several times.
I gave up and installed the knob.
These bikes are finicky to jet, but once sorted they run sweet.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:36 PM

Well I'm in the same boat as MOGaser.
Not sure why I thought this one would be any easier to jet.
42 pilot-good , 7 slide-good, NEDW clip #2 good till half throttle then way rich.
Moved on to JD red needle clip #3 that showed good improvement. All testing with 175 main. Ran out of time today.
Anyone have a good base line for the 15 250 with an ASII carb?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 AM

@MOGaser what type is your carb?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
Well I'm in the same boat as MOGaser.
Not sure why I thought this one would be any easier to jet.
42 pilot-good , 7 slide-good, NEDW clip #2 good till half throttle then way rich.
Moved on to JD red needle clip #3 that showed good improvement. All testing with 175 main. Ran out of time today.
Anyone have a good base line for the 15 250 with an ASII carb?
From memory we used 42 NEDW#2 175/178 in the local dealers demo 15 250R. Seems to run well, but I haven't rode it much more than a lap around the block. He reports good running and great fuel economy on it.

The 300R he sold was super thirsty and the Suzuki needle didn't show much improvement. They had not set the floats though, and I haven't heard back since offering some advice so I assume the owner has it running much better.

Based off what you describe, the logical choice is to drop the main several sizes. The JD needles run a lot leaner towards WOT (and JD generally recommends richer mains than OEM to compensate), although you may find dropping the mains down will result in the bike wanting a richer clip position too.

I also know, on some bikes that Dave at TSP has had on the dyno he's been able to drop the mains down into the mid to high 160's, but that's on a modified head, tight squish, and usually 300cc.

I'm running 40 NEDW#2 175 in my 250, and don't have any breaking up anywhere. It can feel a little lean in the mid at times, but the piston wash shows slightly rich, the plug looks good. I've considered going half a clip richer and possible dropping the main a size myself. Of course on a 13 with modified head, working in a tropical climate (mid 20-30s celcius, humidity generally above 50%, and some elevation too).
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
From memory we used 42 NEDW#2 175/178 in the local dealers demo 15 250R. Seems to run well, but I haven't rode it much more than a lap around the block. He reports good running and great fuel economy on it.

The 300R he sold was super thirsty and the Suzuki needle didn't show much improvement. They had not set the floats though, and I haven't heard back since offering some advice so I assume the owner has it running much better.

Based off what you describe, the logical choice is to drop the main several sizes. The JD needles run a lot leaner towards WOT (and JD generally recommends richer mains than OEM to compensate), although you may find dropping the mains down will result in the bike wanting a richer clip position too.

I also know, on some bikes that Dave at TSP has had on the dyno he's been able to drop the mains down into the mid to high 160's, but that's on a modified head, tight squish, and usually 300cc.

I'm running 40 NEDW#2 175 in my 250, and don't have any breaking up anywhere. It can feel a little lean in the mid at times, but the piston wash shows slightly rich, the plug looks good. I've considered going half a clip richer and possible dropping the main a size myself. Of course on a 13 with modified head, working in a tropical climate (mid 20-30s celcius, humidity generally above 50%, and some elevation too).
I really thought your demo bike jetting spec would be close to spot on, but no such luck.

I pulled the carb to make sure they didn't slap on a 36mm. It is a 38mm AS2.

Even with the JD red needle it's still very rich above 3/4 throttle, so like you said I'll start dropping the main and see where I wind up.

I'll post a jetting spec when I get it sorted.

Thanks to all for the great info on the site!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Just throwing in needle and new pilot and leaving idle and air screw at old settings will leave you "in a bad place"....

After throwing away the oem needle, you need to be sure to back off the idle screw and reset your air screw. I don't have any recent experience - but typically more than 2 turns out on air screw is okay (and better) for this carb....

jeff