Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Ok. I apologise if I came off as questioning your ability.

There must be a gap between the insert and the outer head. This would cause the head to flex at the head bolt holes.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Ok. I apologise if I came off as questioning your ability.

There must be a gap between the insert and the outer head. This would cause the head to flex at the head bolt holes.
No worries. I guess I am anticipating the same response from the company and have my rebuttal ready to go!

Still have yet to hear anything from them. Sending another email today. It seems clear to me the solution is to send another head cover, the only issue is whether it will be sent free or discounted or for the price of shipping or something in between. I understand that with engine components there really isn't much of a warranty once it leaves the manufacturer's hands, but a non-wear item like a cylinder head cover should not be failing either.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I agree with gasgasman, you caused the cracks when it was torqued. Not saying you torqued it incorrect, but for some reason the insert and head are not seating correct. If you get a new cover you might just wind up with the same result another crack.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
I agree with gasgasman, you caused the cracks when it was torqued. Not saying you torqued it incorrect, but for some reason the insert and head are not seating correct. If you get a new cover you might just wind up with the same result another crack.
Point taken. Everything seemed normal upon assembly, went together with no issues, there were no leaks, external or internal, so things were sealing properly. Worked well for about nine hours, five rides. I was in the woods and noticed a small leak around two of the bolts. Got home and inspected and found the cracks.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM

I don't think this is over torque. This looks like a machining issue to me. The head is high siding towards the center. Like breaking a stick over your knee. By the looks of the cracks it seems to have been torqued very evenly.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:41 AM

I think it is a stress crack from the bolts tightening down on the head but not from over torquing them and that there may have been a fault in the manufacturing of the head. By the looks of it the machining of the inside of the head may of had a little too much meat taken out so that when the two parts are brought together they don't sit flush and hence when they are placed on top of the cylinder there would be a small gap of a tenth of a millimetre between the cap and chamber where the blots go through. Then when the bolts are torqued up the gap would be closed but with alot of stress focused on these points and then with the added stressed of the engine running it leads to the top cap stress cracking around the bolts.

I'd be looking into how well both parts sit together and if they marry cleanly.

Just a theory.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
I think it is a stress crack from the bolts tightening down on the head but not from over torquing them and that there may have been a fault in the manufacturing of the head. By the looks of it the machining of the inside of the head may of had a little too much meat taken out so that when the two parts are brought together they don't sit flush and hence when they are placed on top of the cylinder there would be a small gap of a tenth of a millimetre between the cap and chamber where the blots go through. Then when the bolts are torqued up the gap would be closed but with alot of stress focused on these points and then with the added stressed of the engine running it leads to the top cap stress cracking around the bolts.

I'd be looking into how well both parts sit together and if they marry cleanly.

Just a theory.
The point that everyone is making to save you more grief, ask for complete matched set insert and cover.
From the pics it doesn't strike me as a high quality part, think I would try for a refund and buy a S3 head.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

It sounds like it was not machined properly so if the company is not responding promptly and with the correct answers to address this problem, I would contact PayPal sooner vs later. There may be a time limit.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
It sounds like it was not machined properly so if the company is not responding promptly and with the correct answers to address this problem, I would contact PayPal sooner vs later. There may be a time limit.
I believe it's 180 days to file with an international sale. The company has not responded to my email from Wednesday. They are in Spain, so I don't think they are on holiday like the US.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 AM

I opened a query with PayPal and received an email almost immediately from the company (funny how that works).

They are going to send a replacement cylinder head cover. I informed them if this one does not mate properly to the insert, I will move forward for a refund. They were OK with that.

Will post further information when I have it.