Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Glowing pipe?

It may have always done this, but I've never ridden at night before.
I got home from work on my FSE450 and shut it down, then I noticed the head pipe was glowing
Running lean? Rich? Damn sure my S4R never does this!

Bike runs good, but I couldn't get it to fire during the cold months of winter - crank yes, but it would not start for anything.

Problem or no?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 AM

dont think its uncommon, car headers glow without too much help, if it wasnt particularly cold or windly i wouldnt be surprised if it was glowing red

could be wrong
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 AM

My mate had a RMZ 250 as soon as you started it up within 10 seconds the pipe glowed cherry red almost transparant. it turnedout to be the pilot jet blocked making the engine run lean,

It is normal for the pipes on four stroke singles to glow under normal riding if you search the internet there is loads of forums with similar questions.

I would be concerned too if i didnt know any different.
FMF Gnarly
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM

Thats normal for a newer 4-stroke with a thin/light header, especially if its running the leaner Euro 3 map. I'm not an FSE guy but I think there is a wire to cut/unplug to switch to a richer competition map already loaded in the ECU. Post your FSE questions in the FSE forum.

My Ducati Hyper glowed both headers somewhat, much less now with the richer DP ECU from the Termi kit. If your Duc has the stock ECU take a look at night I'm sure you will see it glow.

Both the Duc and the GG would prefer more fuel, they run as required now, not as they should. Unfortunately this is how it is now with all compliant 4-strokes, you have to retune the bike to make it run right.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 AM

Default Glowing pipe

I had a similar issue with my 2005 fse450. I have remapped the fi and now the pipe runs cool and it has ridiculous power compared to stock. If anyone wants a copy of the map I installed let me know. I am using technoresearch software. My bike now revs easy, hydrocarbon emissions from the pipe are very low and co is about 2% and power is linear. I cranked the timing a little giving it amazing throttle response and the exhaust is super quiet with an fmf muffler.