Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Default ......or is it just me?

does anybody else notice the insane amount of vibration an 03 ec250 puts out, or is it just me? i havnt ridden any other bike so i wouldn't know if any are better or worse, and it isnt a problem, im just wondering if i should be concerned about it. i only seem to notice it for the first minute or so, then i cant feel it anymore, but once im off and trying to hang onto things around the house, i find that my hands feel numb and hanging onto things that are not vibrating becomes almost impossible for the first 5-10 minutes after a good couple of hours riding. and a short while after that i begin to feel a little arm pump, but not bad. am i doing something wrong that i feel this much vibration, or is it normal?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Assuming your bike is in good running condition its normal for a two stroke single cyl engine to vibrate alot. The GasGas motor is smoother than most. Try to not hold on so tight and to remember to breath more and make sure you are well hydrated before you begin your ride. You could also try some anti vibration bar inserts, there are a lot of different options out there.

Happy roosting! -Graham-

I like motorcycles can you tell?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Site Sponsor

Check your motor mounts, head stays and swing arm bolt, they may be loose. All two smoke big bores have some vibration but it sounds like something is loose or your crank may be out of balance. let us know how you make out.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Site Sponsor

+1 on what Ron said.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Having owned several 2-strokes including KDX's, KTM's and now the EC250, the gasgas does have a fair amount of vibration. The KDX is the smoothest and some KTM's can be terrible.

If you have a skidplate, you can take it off and put a few strips of the sticky foam insulation between the skidplate and frame rails. I found this helped to reduce the vibration in the pegs.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 AM

I was going to have the flywheel on my 03 ballanced,, the KTM's are know for vibrations as well and a good bit is actually the flywheel.. check out trailtechs website about this..a friend had this done to his 97 ktm 250 and it made a world of difference..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm going to agree with Ronald and Berkyboy. Check those sources of possible vibration. I don't notice vibration at all on my bike, nor did I notice vibration on my previous four Gas Gas bikes. If your hands are tingling you are probably not imagining things. Check that everything is tight, remove the skidplate if you have one for good measure, check the pipe mounts, all that rot.
Next, start the bike and listen. Does it rattle? Does it make any distinct vibrations on revving it up, or coming down from RPM? Take off the flywheel cover and check the nut for tight. Grab the flywheel and yank it up and down to see if there's any play in the crank bearings.
On a positive note, the bike shouldn't vibrate the way you are describing. Another positive is that if the bottom end bearings are going bad, it'll eventually just fail and you'll have found your problem. Yet another positive is that a single cylinder two stroke engine is extremely simple. Which brings me to a thought. Did the person who owned the bike prior to you rebuild the engine? If so, did he balance the crank properly? A load of things to ponder, hopefully it is one of the more simple things, like loose motor mounts......
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM

previous owner only had the bike for part of a season, but the owner before him had the whole motor redone by a shop, got the receipt for it and all. it may very well be that im just hanging on too tight and haven't gotten the suspension set up for me yet (i got the bike last fall, gunna meet up with mark from gofasters and have him help me get it set up for me.) i was just wondering if anybody else noticed the vibration. thanks for the replys!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:27 AM

My 03 vibrated quiet a bit,, only could feel it on asphalt tho.. and it was bad enough to be uncomfortable on my feet,, didnt stop me from running it in a 140 mile ds run which was 60% hardpack.. my hands are numb typing so on the bike??
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone