Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM

Default stuck front axle

I've got an 08 EC250, purchased used last year with new tires on it.
During pre ride checks I've never found any play in the front wheel, but recently got a flat and can't get the front axel out. The spacer on the brake disc side will slide if pulled but the otherside (with the step) wont budge, but rotates freely.
Any idea's?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughside View Post
I've got an 08 EC250, purchased used last year with new tires on it.
During pre ride checks I've never found any play in the front wheel, but recently got a flat and can't get the front axel out. The spacer on the brake disc side will slide if pulled but the otherside (with the step) wont budge, but rotates freely.
Any idea's?
Axels.. The more often you have them out the easier they come out. Keep them clean and lubed and save the issues.

For removing a seized on you'll need a hammer.. Find something with a nice flat edge that slides into the axle and provides a good surface conact on the axel edge. Then start tapping away. It will eventually push through. I've found certain sized screw drivers do the job well.

Then, be sure to clean everything up with the steelo/wool/light sand to remove any build up. The axel should slide in and out by hand with just a light coating of waterproof grease on it.

I almost consider axel removal a maintenance item. Its something I'll definately do before embarking on a big group ride. Makes things that much easier in the event of a bushflat!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Use PB Blaster penetrating oil. It works miracles.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM

19mm socket and a hammer.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the help!

That was a "no fun" project. Turns out the bearings and aluminum spacer had corroded (sp) to the axle. I managed to mangle the right spacer, but it was the 19mm socket and petetrating oil that got things moving. Then I knocked out the bearings, dust caps and spacer, as I have new bearings to go in.

While cleaning up the axle I found a hairline crack at the step. So I'll be off to see my friend Dave at Gas Gas Pacific for a new one.

This $30 tube replacement has turned into a $200 project but I'm happier to have this happen during our rainy season than to be 200km from home for an event weekend. Now pulling the wheels can be part of oil change days!

Next weekend....back wheel haha...ugh
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hahah good work mate! Better to find the cracked axel with it off the bike than when landing on the other side of a dirt mound. I saw a WR450F blow a front axel once and only once ever. Lucky he was going relatively steady at the time.

I also forgot to mention a bit of lube helps get things moving. I generally use INOX. Just be sure not to over spray onto the brake pads or disks. They don't like it much.. lol