Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 AM

Default What "size" piston without removing barrel

Is there an easy way to determine which letter piston is in your bike without removing the barrel? I have heard that GasGas stamps a letter on the barrel area just above the intake, but my '06EC300 has no letters, only numbers. My piston has now run a year with about 3900km's on, and while I can feel no power loss, it is probably time for a new setup. Do Vertex and Athena sell piston kits through the net, or are there any delaers on this site who sell them?

Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 AM

Eugene, I'm not sure about the letters but if your looking for a vendor I would suggest GoFasters.com. Give them a call or E-mail.
Ron McClure
Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 AM

They are stamped on the rear of the cylinder just above the base. If the cylinder is on the bike it may be hard to see, try an inspection mirror.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Is there an easy way to determine which letter piston is in your bike without removing the barrel? I have heard that GasGas stamps a letter on the barrel area just above the intake, but my '06EC300 has no letters, only numbers. My piston has now run a year with about 3900km's on, and while I can feel no power loss, it is probably time for a new setup. Do Vertex and Athena sell piston kits through the net, or are there any delaers on this site who sell them?
I doubt you will need a new piston unless your terrain is such that you're running wide open a lot and getting muck in. I'd check it out before ordering one probably a quick hone and new rings will make it as good as new.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 PM

I do the piston and rings, reeds, and clean the PV off season. That way I'm sure to be good for the next season with no mid year down time. Pistons not only wear they fatigue as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:11 AM

On my CR250 and 01EC300, I had pistons with cracks in the skirt after 2 seasons, so since then I change the whole setup. A piston is cheaper than a new barrel/nicasil coating when it all goes pear shaped. I emailed the GoFasters site yesterday for some bits for my '06 300 and 450, but haven't got an answer yet. Do they sell the coated Athena piston, or only the Wiseco listed on their site? Is there a problem with their website, or are they just out riding
Old 05-08-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I do the piston and rings, reeds, and clean the PV off season. That way I'm sure to be good for the next season with no mid year down time. Pistons not only wear they fatigue as well.
I last changed my piston 2 years ago. This last strip down it looked very good as if it had hardly been used. Maybe because I have only really used it in tight woods events so it doesn't get revved high.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
On my CR250 and 01EC300, I had pistons with cracks in the skirt after 2 seasons, so since then I change the whole setup. A piston is cheaper than a new barrel/nicasil coating when it all goes pear shaped.
My point exactly.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 AM

I use GoFasters alot for parts, etc...as well as great technical advice. Give them a call instead of going thru the website or email...much faster response. They are very good about shipping quickly. I just got a new piston kit for my 05' EC300. It is a Vertex which I guess is OEM. I have an 'A' cylinder so I got a 'B' piston.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 AM

I have an 06 EC300 which I am very happy with. I have not yet had to do any major engine work (only jetting changes). I will probably replace the piston next winter (it will have 2 seasons on it). I am looking for advice on what parts to use. Is an original Gas Gas piston recommended, or have people had good luck with aftermarker (e.g. Wiseco kit - I see that Go Fasters sells it at a reasonable price).