Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2013 250R overvolting

Would like some help from the tech savvy folk. Neil?

I've noticed for a while now that the voltage reading on the trail tech unit ramps right up and causes issues with the backing light dropping out as it reaches excessive volts.

Recently, I blew a lightbulb so it was time to really start digging.

Pulled out the multi meter and sure enough the volts are running from 12V upward depending on revs. Checked the ground/earth on the regulator by using its earth wire/tab where it contacts the frame to ground while checking the volts.

Ordered a replacement regulator, bolted it all up, and same goes again. Its still reading excessively.

Where do I look next?

Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

that's queer, they should be pretty simple, maybe the later ones are more clever & contain a feedback connection that is in the wrong position to be doing its thang. How many wires out of the '13 regulator?
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

2 wire. Same same as the older ones.

One feeds into the yellow power circuit (to be regulated), and the other simply dumps excess voltage to ground.

Did some more testing, and with the headlight running it 'appears' that the voltage is then regulated to 14V. I didn't hold it open to see if it would go higher. Switching the headlight off it pings up between 16-20V quite easily.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
2 wire. Same same as the older ones.

One feeds into the yellow power circuit (to be regulated), and the other simply dumps excess voltage to ground.

Did some more testing, and with the headlight running it 'appears' that the voltage is then regulated to 14V. I didn't hold it open to see if it would go higher. Switching the headlight off it pings up between 16-20V quite easily.
Mine does similar. If my take my tail light off, it'll do weird things, and if I disconnect my headlight, my tail light only half works (only one side of LEDs work), and climbs above 14v easily.. My solution was to leave my headlight on... Not ideal, but eh.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting.

I noticed in some video of a mates that the tail light did the half only thing when I had the headlight turned off. Makes me think the whole circuit is relying on the headlight to control the voltage, and that my blown to pieces headlight may have been caused by something else (like blunt force impact).
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 AM

My 2013 250 does this, It started just blowing the bulb now it actually explodes the bulb, shatters the glass like I hit it with a hammer!!!! No idea why, ive tried two new stock regulators and a trail tech adjustable regulator, that doesn't fix the problem. I have been through the wiring loom, stator etc etc. Drives me mad. I would really love to know how to fix this. Ive spent hours trying to get to the bottom of this and im stuck, had others look at it too, no idea whats wrong.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16717
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Lets nut this out! Doing my head in.. but also glad to know mine isn't the only one.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM

good luck !!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber Jonny View Post
My 2013 250 does this, It started just blowing the bulb now it actually explodes the bulb, shatters the glass like I hit it with a hammer!!!! No idea why, ive tried two new stock regulators and a trail tech adjustable regulator, that doesn't fix the problem. I have been through the wiring loom, stator etc etc. Drives me mad. I would really love to know how to fix this. Ive spent hours trying to get to the bottom of this and im stuck, had others look at it too, no idea whats wrong.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16717
Wow, that's full on. Mine doesn't blow globes, and I'm running a 55/60w globe I'm the stock headlight. I'm guessing it has to go through the headlight to somehow regulate voltage, but that's a pretty piss poor way to do it. Mine is registered, so the headlight and tail light stay on it mostly, so it's not a huge issue.

My speedo resets itself very regularly, and does the whole 888 display thing... I've been to trying to figure out why, now I'm thinking good ol' GG/Fantic wiring..
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 AM

That's definitely weird. The regulator is very simple and works just like Jake said (two wires, sinks excess voltage to ground).

This makes me think the wiring on the kickstart bikes is connected in an odd way. Is the regulator the same part number as the older bikes? Did you try swapping in the unit from your 2010 Jake?

I like to think the yellow wire is common throughout the bike, but this may not be the case. It's as if the regulator is only in the circuit once the headlight is turned on. This could explain the odd tail light function.

Do we know for sure that the yellow wire out of the stator connects to the regulator? When I studied my 2011 harness I noticed some multiple wire joints inside the cover tubing. A couple of them even had different colours terminated together.

Is there a good newer model wiring diagram in one of the manuals?