Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:11 PM

Default E start gear & headlight

I?m working on collecting all the parts to convert my 2008 ec200 to be e start.
I?m able to buy everything from cpd or eBay other than the gear that goes on the flywheel. They have the gear for the newer ones (2014 and up) but I don?t think it will fit mine. Correct me if I?m wrong.

Wondering if someone would be willing to part with theirs or if someone knows where I could buy one online.

I don?t think I will be getting the new subframe with the battery box or getting all the oem wiring. I?ll just build the wiring harness myself and use some generic button I have. If I do this right will I have any problems?

I also had a question about the headlight on my bike. I tried wiring in a 4in round led work light in place of my old non led headlight. It worked for 10-15 minutes. Then it went dim then it just stopped working. No wires came in pluggged, I tested the light on a battery and it?s now only lighting up a little bit on half the leds. (Barely even able to tell it?s on). Would the AC power that the bike makes be too much for the light maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4189.jpg (125.4 KB, 6 views)

Old 04-19-2023, 08:20 PM

Good luck finding a starter gear. They are rare. Just follow the wiring diagram for the 2013 XC model for proper wiring of the e-start setup and so your battery will charge correctly.

As for the LED headlight, most modern LED lights that can only handle DC voltage. You probably damaged the electronic circuitry that controls the LEDS. When you do the wiring for the e-start/battery you should end up with a DC only circuit. Then, you can run an LED headlight directly from the battery.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 04-19-2023, 08:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Agreed. You will need a decent rectifier regulator and a battery to reduce (practically remove) the AC ripple on the lighting cct.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:28 PM

I?ll keep looking for a gear but I?m the meantime I?m going to get an AC DC converter from Amazon. I ordered this one for like 20 bucks. Hopefully it works. The light I?m using is a 10-30w it says.

Step Down Voltage Convertor, AC 10-28V to DC 12V Buck Voltage Regulator Waterproof Power Module for Car, Waterproof Step Down Module(3A) https://a.co/d/bkjZyKW

What if ordered the e start setup of the new rieju bikes? Looks like it should bolt right on. All of the parts should be available for the newer bikes. Would probably be more reliable too. It looks like I?d need a whole new flywheel and possibly stator. What do you think I?d all need?
Old 04-20-2023, 02:19 AM

Sounds like you are over investing in an old bike.

Bearing in mind I just came back from a great weekend on my 07.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 04-20-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Step Down Voltage Convertor, AC 10-28V to DC 12V Buck Voltage Regulator Waterproof Power Module for Car, Waterproof Step Down Module(3A) https://a.co/d/bkjZyKW
My first thought is that 36W is perhaps not enough to charge your battery AND drive a headlight, even if it is LED.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 04-20-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Sounds like you are over investing in an old bike.

Bearing in mind I just came back from a great weekend on my 07.
Maybe, but I?ve rode newer ktms and I?m yet to find a bike that I like more than this 200
Old 04-20-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My first thought is that 36W is perhaps not enough to charge your battery AND drive a headlight, even if it is LED.
I won?t be connecting a battery. It just has to run the 10-30v led
Old 04-20-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
I won?t be connecting a battery. It just has to run the 10-30v led
So what will operate the starter motor when you get all the parts? You should plan it out and prepare for the estart if that's your end goal. Keep in mind that the Amazon voltage converter shows a maximum input voltage of 28AC.

I assume your stock voltage regulator is properly clipping the stator AC output to say 14 volts. If so the Amazon converter should work. There have been people in the past that have had issues with the stock voltage regulator. When it fails the AC voltage goes high enough to burn out all the light bulbs. This would also take out the Amazon device.

Keep in mind that the coverter output should connect only to your new light. Do not ground either of the DC wires. Your new LED light will be an isolated circuit.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
So what will operate the starter motor when you get all the parts? You should plan it out and prepare for the estart if that's your end goal. Keep in mind that the Amazon voltage converter shows a maximum input voltage of 28AC.

I assume your stock voltage regulator is properly clipping the stator AC output to say 14 volts. If so the Amazon converter should work. There have been people in the past that have had issues with the stock voltage regulator. When it fails the AC voltage goes high enough to burn out all the light bulbs. This would also take out the Amazon device.

Keep in mind that the coverter output should connect only to your new light. Do not ground either of the DC wires. Your new LED light will be an isolated circuit.
I can?t find a starter gear that will fit my bike so the only way I can get e start is by waiting for a used one to show up. I already have the led light and I just wanted to get it working in the meantime since it will probably be months before I find a gear. Then I can just re wire if I?m able to get all the parts I need for e start

I will test the voltage going into the converter before I hook it up. Although it ran my old headlight before with no issues.