Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Default 2001 300 EC - More Snap Needed

Hello Fellas,

I bought my first proper off roader about a month ago (2001 300EC in the UK). see http://www.rynix.net/gasgas.html. It is great fun for novice me but I kinda expected a bit more oomph. Like the low end is great, but I can only power wheelie in second gear *sometimes* and there doesn't seem to be any top end to speak of. It seems to be running a little rich so I attempted to adjust the float valve because it was overflowing a bit out of the overflow tubes when standing there. It seemed to help a bit but I will raise the float a little further I think. It has more than enough low end so I want to focus on getting more top end. From what I gather here on the forums I can:

* Remove reed spacer
* Install MX CDI (Can I do this on a 2001 UK bike??)
* Install CK needle? (this is my first foray into jetting witchery)
* Perhaps different pipe, expansion chamber.
* When I eventually do a top-end increase compression via squish-gap etc.

Is this on the right track? I have seen the RB mods and LTR kits but I'm a newbie at this and not sure if they ship to the UK (and if I can install properly). One last thing. I'm just under 16 stone (220 lbs). Don't tell me that's the problem!!!!

Thanks guys.

Last edited by krazy; 09-13-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-13-2008, 08:59 AM

I would remove the reed spacer, check reeds and possibly replace, go with a lighter flywheel off of a DE or just 250 MX ignition wich will work, and possibly the LT-Racing Jetting kit will help. N1EF needle also has more hit according to my research.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 AM

Also, seeings how you live in UK here ar some sweet Gasgas parts.
http://www.trialendurodirect.com/cat...7/Gas_Gas.html
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Try using a #8 slide for a low end boost. In my 2000 EC300 with the XC head, the #8 slide gives the bike more "pop" as it pulls onto the pipe. It's very controllable when there is traction, but requires more clutch work in slick conditions. I used the #7 slide during the summer months when traction in Northern California is similar to sand on smooth pavement. I have never removed the reed spacer because I really can't find a use for more low-end power unless I'm riding in sand.

My '05 EC300 with the R&B headwork is an animal with the #8 slide and LTR needle. I switched to the CCK needle, #7 slide and dropped a tooth on the rear sprocket because the head work added a huge boost right of the bottom.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 strokes 4 life View Post
I would remove the reed spacer, check reeds and possibly replace, go with a lighter flywheel off of a DE or just 250 MX ignition wich will work, and possibly the LT-Racing Jetting kit will help. N1EF needle also has more hit according to my research.
Thanks - the reeds looked ok when I looked at them and they are supposedly new. I can't find info on where to order n1ef or cck needles in the uk, not to mention mx ignitions or flywheels. Not even sure if the DE models were sold in the UK. I must be looking in all the wrong places. Thanks for your help ... back to google.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenut View Post
Try using a #8 slide for a low end boost. In my 2000 EC300 with the XC head, the #8 slide gives the bike more "pop" as it pulls onto the pipe. It's very controllable when there is traction, but requires more clutch work in slick conditions. I used the #7 slide during the summer months when traction in Northern California is similar to sand on smooth pavement. I have never removed the reed spacer because I really can't find a use for more low-end power unless I'm riding in sand.

My '05 EC300 with the R&B headwork is an animal with the #8 slide and LTR needle. I switched to the CCK needle, #7 slide and dropped a tooth on the rear sprocket because the head work added a huge boost right of the bottom.
Ya everyone seems to rave about the RB mods, really jealous I don't live in the states anymore (moved to UK from california). I'll have to search around for these needles cause a google search doesn't come up with much.

But I thought removing the reed spacer would spice up the top end? Guess I'll give it a whirl. The carb seems really hard to take on/off with the spacer in there anyways.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Hi, Im in the uk too. I have an Ec300 2002 uk model. I ordered an LTR jet kit direct from LTR. I just gave them a call and I had the kit within 7 days. Postage was very resonable too. I also have some reeds in at the moment made by ACTIVE they call them T2 designed for motocross apparently, got them from a GG dealer in kent.They made my bike pull better higher up the range although I think Ive lost some bottom end torque. Have a look at www stanstephens.com they are top 2 stroke tuners based in Kent.
I am thinking of removing the reed spacer too, Does anyone know if I will loose any bottom end doing this or will it just be more snappy?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:27 PM

I have a 2000 XC250 cdi box on ebay if you are interested. It is item number: 270275517976.

Maybe some of the guys here can comment on this...

Last edited by Steve@Motowest; 09-13-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM

The XC250 as far as i know is a EC200 ignition. It would make the 300 a animal. This is what you are looking for.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff747 View Post
Hi, Im in the uk too. I have an Ec300 2002 uk model. I ordered an LTR jet kit direct from LTR. I just gave them a call and I had the kit within 7 days. Postage was very resonable too.
Nice one - I will do the same, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff747 View Post
Have a look at www.stanstephens.com they are top 2 stroke tuners based in Kent.
I've heard of Stan a while ago when I was drooling over a SS tuned cr500. Now I'm drooling over my GG 300 after I finish with the cdi, jetting, new pipes, and SS stage 3 tune!