Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Differences between DE and EC models

Can someone please explain all the differences between the DE and the Euro EC models? We have always had Euro spec ECs in Canada but it looks as though we may have no choice but to take DEs to get around the whole non-conforming VIN issue, which is starting to become a hassle in some provinces.

What are the differences between the 2 models and why is it that guys from the US want DEs so bad over the Euro models? What type of odo/speedo does the DE come with? Are the lights easy to hook up?

I am in the minority in Canada when I stated that I would prefer a DE over the EC on a dirt bike forum. I have no use for the switchgear and the mess of wires that comes with the extra lights, horn etc...

Hopefully, the US and CDN importers can cut a deal with GG to bring down the price of the bikes a bit by ordering DEs together.

Thanks
Scott

Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Scott,

The DE has the lighter flywheel 35W 2K-2 ignition. All the Euro spec street hardware and associated wiring is removed and a simple kill switch takes its place. The lights are activated by a toggle switch in the headlight shell (if supplied). The DE is the bike to get, although a lot of guys may want a flywheel weight for the snot, and the 14oz is plenty. A lot of people here think the EC flywheel is too heavy, thats the main reason for the DE. I thought it was good in the rocks but too heavy in the sand, so I went with the 2K-2 and a weight, which is great. I spent hours stripping junk and wire off my EC just to fit what I did need, and agree it has no place on a race bike. If someone wants more flywheel weight/stator output than the 14 oz, you can always get them a 2K-3 EC ignition, as the motor accepts both and it drops right in, using the same CDI.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

EDIT: Looks like a couple of us answered at the same time. Sorry if my post sounds a bit redundant.

I thought this was discussed in the 2T forum, but I didn't see anything in my searches. So I will give my quick summary to get the ball rolling. Others can chime in too if I forget something.

EC Model:
Larger ignition (more flywheel effect)
Higher power output/wattage for lights, blinkers, etc.
Multi-function handlebar switch
Full wiring loom
Headlight with high and low beams
Horn
Blinkers
Turn signals
Tail light
Brake light
Messico exhaust pipe and silencer

DE Model (previously known as XC model):
Smaller ignition (less flywheel effect)
Lower power output/wattage for lights (ok for moderate use).
No handlebar switch... single-throw toggle switch for light
Abbreviated wiring loom (no turn signals, horn, or high beam).
Headlight with low beam only (for high beam swap the terminal)
Tail light
Brake light
FMF exhaust pipe with Turbine Core 2 silencer/spark arrestor

Last edited by MattR; 11-08-2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:29 PM

06 300 De

near as I can tell .... The DE has less flywheel weight so it revs more freely. I guess the stateside guys like revvy motors. Still tractors pretty good to me. EC's must pull stumps!! My bike had no switch gear or blinkers. However the wiring harness is the same so if you wanted them you could just plug them in. I believe the generator power output on the EC is much more than on the DE. When i hit the brakes on my de the headlight dims!! The odometer is a standard trail tech not the fancy factory one you see in the owners manual. Anyone can feel free to fill in where i missed.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 PM

MattR,

Are you talking '06 only, because my '04 EC300 came with the FMF set-up on it not a Messico. Just curious.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergasser View Post
MattR,

Are you talking '06 only, because my '04 EC300 came with the FMF set-up on it not a Messico. Just curious.
My 2001 came this way and I heard other folks with more current models mentioning the FMF pipe. I assumed it was for most DE model years in the States. I thought the stock GG pipe was made by Messico and was standard equipment on EC's. Perhaps your dealer swapped it out.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 AM

From my experience, in 2002 through 2006, the bikes came with whatever pipe the factory put on them. There really was no "system" to it as far as I could tell, just whatever was on the shelf in Spain that week. Some came with GG pipes, some came with FMF pipes. (The MC's came consistantly with the Messico however.)

The bikes seemed to be a little bit different with each production run.

Matts got it about right in his breakdown of the EC and DE. I think there is a misconception out there that these are completely different bikes... they're exactly the same frame, motor and suspension. The only difference between the EC and the DE is that the DE lacks the 5 miles of wiring harnesses that are on the EC model and it has the low watt MC stator.

Which brings up the MC... it has a 19" rear, stiffer suspension, a higher compression head and sharper ignition curve, with the same wattage output as the DE. (At one point the MC had a different 4 speed transmission, but for 2005-06 came with the same 6 speed in the EC/DE.)

IMHO, If you ride open and fast, the thing to do is get an MC and customize it up. If you ride tight and mucky, get an EC and strip off the wiring you don't want. That simple.

The DE just seems to be a redundancy to me.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
EDIT: Looks like a couple of us answered at the same time. Sorry if my post sounds a bit redundant.

I thought this was discussed in the 2T forum, but I didn't see anything in my searches. So I will give my quick summary to get the ball rolling. Others can chime in too if I forget something.

EC Model:
Larger ignition (more flywheel effect)
Higher power output/wattage for lights, blinkers, etc.
Multi-function handlebar switch
Full wiring loom
Headlight with high and low beams
Horn
Blinkers
Turn signals
Tail light
Brake light
Messico exhaust pipe and silencer

DE Model (previously known as XC model):
Smaller ignition (less flywheel effect)
Lower power output/wattage for lights (ok for moderate use).
No handlebar switch... single-throw toggle switch for light
Abbreviated wiring loom (no turn signals, horn, or high beam).
Headlight with low beam only (for high beam swap the terminal)
Tail light
Brake light
FMF exhaust pipe with Turbine Core 2 silencer/spark arrestor
Good list. A few differences based on what I have seen...

EC model ('06)
Halogen headlight w/ Hi/Lo beam
Multifunction display - speedo, odo, trip, tach, hourmeter
GG pipe and silencer w/o Spark arrestor
Mirrors
Euro homologation emissions parts

DE Model
There is variation, even within a given year.
Some do not have a headlight.
Brake light - front brake actuated only.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM

The QC on what the bike left the factory with has been spotty in the past. Some have had different rate shock springs. I suspect this is now tightened up.

The DE is patterened after the GGNA era XC. The XC however, did have a higher compression head AND a more aggressive CDI. It was also valved a bit stiffer. I had a '00 XC and now run the CDI from it in my '03 EC (converted to DE trim). Alphabet soup huh? Not as bad as talking about new KTMs though.

The DE makes perfect sense, why supply(and charge) us for stuff we don't want/need? First, the emmisions stuff is the first to go, total waste of money. Don't supply any lights and get rid of the front brake light switch. Make an affordable Hebo kit available with the current excellent light shell, and a small Acerbis style LED tailight/lic plate holder. Basically like a new KTM XC or XCW. Keep the spark arrestor silencer, CDI map switch, and EC suspension setup. The hare scrambles guys will be happy, and the enduro guys set with a $100 kit. Add up all this component cost and additional assembly labor savings, and pass it on to us. Do a special run for USA/Canada and maybe we can get these things for a reasonable price.

They could make the full harness, 2K-3, and DOT compliant lighting available in a hard parts catalog if desired, but for a 2-stroke it would probably be a waste of time considering how things are going.

Building up an MC for off road is not really the same as say building a YZ because the MC starts out at a much higher price. If the DE is not hot enough for you, you can remove the primary weight and get the head and CDI from the MC.

Considering the current trends and the competition's offerings, I find it strange that this wasn't discussed and addressed a long time ago.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The XC/DEs tire selection is typically the non-dot approved s-12 michelin. Typically a size too small - a 120 width michelin is actually a 100 width tire - sized for a 125cc bike.

The EC comes with a DOT approved Michelin Enduro comp III tires - a 140 width tire that is relatively heavy (relative to a s-12 dirt oriented tire.).

Note that for a california based magazine test - the dot tires (or the too narrow dirt oriented tires) or the heavy EC ignition would not show the bikes best traits in open california terrain.

FYI - for the fmf pipes - I believe the bikes were shipped into the u.s. without pipe and the fmf pipe and silencer were installed in the u.s. And for what it's worth - I would prefer to have the gasgas design pipe with a turbine spark arrestor incorporated into the gasgas silencer.

jeff