Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Default 03 EC/DE Power Valve service - dripping goo!

I have a 2003 EC 250 (actually I think it's the DE model) that I bought new last year. Anyway, used to be a strong A enduro rider, but moved to GA from MI and haven't done much riding the past year until recently. My son is now riding a KTM 50 so we are going to a few tracks and trails. Anyway, I noticed that the bike is leaking some black goo out of the breather hose that comes off the left side of the power vavle. It's been a while since I have serviced one of these (probably 6 years ago on my 1998 model) I run Motul 8002T at 50:1 And the bike is jetted pretty clean. I changed jetting per Jim Cook recommendation at Smackover before they went OOB. I think it's a 178 main, N1Eg needle in #2, and a 42 pilot, that's from memory, but it runs well and does not drip anything off the silencer, only some splatter on the fender.. A few questions -

1. Why is it leaking out of this tube, my 98 did not seem to do this
2. How often should I service the PV? This bike probably has only about 6"Play rides" A and 4 enduro's on it. Purchased new in April 2005.
3. Where do I find a good set of instructions to perform this maint.? I didn't see anything in the owners manual.

Thanks for the help.

PB

P.S. If anyone lives in the greater Atlanta area (I live in Cumming, GA) and needs or wants to show a newbie in the area where to ride, I am looking for some ridin buddies. I'd like to run some enduros in the SETRA series, but need some people to tag along with as well. I have vehicle and trailer and willing to dirve. I rode the Cherokee Nat'l last year, but that is it. I have been now riding MX tracks and the trails out at Durhamtown but that's getting old. - need some single track....HELP.....

Old 12-11-2006, 06:18 PM

It's normal and something you have to live with. If it was a Harley you could say its marking it's territory.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's normal when the left PV cover is vented with a hose. There is a disassembly procedure located in the Tech Articles. Click on the menu button at the top of this forum.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM

The high flash point synthetic oils will drool more because they don't burn off as easy and go right through the motor. The PV chamber will drool but the parts will be very clean, especially with Motul 800. Its possible your '98 did not have the drain hole in the cylinder's PY chamber, or it was clogged. Don't worry about it, clean the PV parts when you do a top end and you will be fine. With that oil and clean air filters you can go awhile yet on your top end.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 AM

What they said. my old 125 used to fill up with unburnt stroker oil and i found it made a bit of a difference after i'd cleaned it out. on my gg it's something i intend doing as general maintenance whenever i change the gearbox oil.

as an aside, lt-r performance's large capacity powervalve cover has a drain bung on it for precisely this reason.