Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Default Lone Star National

I am surprised no one from this forum posted on the national enduro in Texas Sunday. Anyway..... long story short, I saw quite a few Gas Gas bikes, which was pleasantly surprising. It was typical Orange and lots of Green mixed in. I am not sure how the gg group did overall but it was nice to see the bikes on the course throughout the day. I personally did not do well in the overall standings. I got 3rd 40A and qualified for the US ISDE team with a 2nd in the E3 LOI class. It was too hot for me and I was suffering from the start. Our guage showed 99 degrees. I have no clue how I wound up on the podium and on the team quite frankly. It was extremely hot, dusty, dry slick, and way tighter than I had imagined it would be. I think about half the field of riders DNF'd. I had to just back off and trail ride.

I do know I was super happy to be on my gas gas vs my ktm, even my 125 ktm. The gas gas turns so well and handles so well I could ride like a squid and still pull through the terrain. The motor and tranny were awesome as well. A few times I thought I would like to have the steering stops removed but incredibly the bike would still twist around and stay on the main line in the tight stuff. One thing I probably would do different is pull the forks up to the line in the triple clamps. I have been running them flush for better high speed stability. Bike was awesome, I was not. : )

Last edited by BrentMartell; 04-05-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added info

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post
I got 3rd 40A and qualified for the US ISDE team with a 2nd in the E3 LOI class. It was too hot for me and I was suffering from the start.
Wow! Congratulations. 1/2 of life is showing up, and the other 1/2 is sticking it out. You did both, and were a rousing success. Congrats on qualifying for the ISDE. That is an impressive achievement, and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

blitz

Last edited by blitz11; 04-05-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Ya...I'd say...Congrats on qualifying for the ISDE.

Keep us posted.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks. It was quite the day, just when I started to figure out how to deal with the heat and lack of traction issue's my body refused to co-operate. It's like standing in front of a vending machine in the middle of nowhere, you put your money in, the product starts to fall, and then it hangs up. You have no more money... all you can do is stand there and drool at what that ding dong would taste like if only you could get to it.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hi Brent,

Nice analogy - and why am I checking my pockets for change and drooling now!

Congrats - I tried to qualify one year and failed.

Its an accomplishment that most of us can only dream about.

I/We supported another ISDE rider in the past here by selling GasGasRider.org logo stuff - fender stickers, etc.

What's everybody think?

GasGasRider.org coffee mugs? GasGasRider.org front fender decals again? T-Shirts? All profits go to support Brent....

It's not an inexpensive affair - finland this year?

jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Way to go Brent! That's the way to qualify, in brutal conditions like that. Its prepping you for six days. you know the old saying......What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Jeff I really liked the Gas Gas riders club fender stickers that you had made and sold for Steve Shannon's ISDE benefit and would certainly be down with donating something to Brent's cause.

T shirts, mugs, hats, stickers all would be the icing on top of just helping to make the huge expense of a six days endeavor a little less painful for a guy who worked hard toward a goal and obtained it. It's a mere dream for most.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Well Done! I have always been amazed at anybody who can do the 6 days!
West Texas is VERY warm/fast, it broke me from running the TSCEC circuit.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Congrats, Brent! I was very interested to see the results after I saw a thread started in another area on this site mentioning encouraging results. I saw your finish and I smiled as I've been following your posts with interest. Gas Gas was very well represented with what looks like a tie with Honda for number of entries at 23...Yes, there were as many GGs as Hondas: Who would have thought that? Only KTM and Yamaha had more bikes entered...My, how times have changed! Brent Martell: 46th overall, 3rd in class. Cole Kirkpatrick: 5th overall. Haydn Franklin 11th overall, 1st AA. Brent: I hope let us in on setup tips and effective mods as you find them! Roscoe/Jeff: Figure something out to help the ISDE bound folks and I will chip in the first $100 (I sold some vintage dirtbikes lately!)

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Hi Brent,

Nice analogy - and why am I checking my pockets for change and drooling now!

Congrats - I tried to qualify one year and failed.

Its an accomplishment that most of us can only dream about.

I/We supported another ISDE rider in the past here by selling GasGasRider.org logo stuff - fender stickers, etc.

What's everybody think?

GasGasRider.org coffee mugs? GasGasRider.org front fender decals again? T-Shirts? All profits go to support Brent....

It's not an inexpensive affair - finland this year?

jeff
I can always use another coffee mug
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Thumbs up

Brent is my new hero! What he did not tell you, is that we left on Thursday and arrived Friday night at 11:30 pm. We tested on Saturday with 90 degree temp and windy. Raced on Sunday, which was up to 99 degrees in temp and very windy. Loaded up and left at 4:00 pm Sunday; to arrive back home on Monday at 12:00 am. It was a 3000 mile round trip. It was fun spending time with Brent, who is a really great guy by the way. On a side note, we took my son who is 13 yrs old, and he rode the event on a 07 YZ 125. (I know it's not a Gas Gas, but it's all we could afford) He got a 2nd and 16th over all in the C Class (his very first Enduro). I want to thank Brent for letting us go with him, and being my son's riding coach. I would love to help and donate to fund raising for Brent. T-shirts and stickers please.