Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Local Race

I hate having a local race (HS) so close and me not being ready to try it out.....

It rained forever today and yesterday so the course will be nasty, I'm not ready for nasty!

In do time I guess.....

Old 11-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
I hate having a local race (HS) so close and me not being ready to try it out.....

It rained forever today and yesterday so the course will be nasty, I'm not ready for nasty!

In do time I guess.....
Why aren't you ready? What prevented you from riding the event?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

riding when its wet and slippy is great for practice,if you feel not ready for nasty then just go play around on gentle contour(not the local sports fields!) in the wet/mud getting the feel for the bike sliding about under throttle,and brakes at slow speed.figure 8's,donuts,steering the slide while rear locked etc.
A. theres no dust
B. the ground is softer when you crash and youre less likely to break levers
C. improves your bike handling/feel and body position/balance
D. its a lot of fun!
Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Why aren't you ready? What prevented you from riding the event?
My skill level is the number one reason I didn't go.

As a side note, I did go out and ride today and it was like snot! Sliding everywhere, fun, but stressful. I am still learning how to deal with sliding in ruts. Laid the bike down twice from the front going one way and the rear going the opposite way.

To top it off, I can't sell this boat I have. Which is the only way I'm going to be able to afford the suspension work I need. I'm to heavy for the set up now, it is beating me to death.

So me nor the bike is ready for a HS, in my eyes. I might be wrong, its happened before
Old 11-08-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
riding when its wet and slippy is great for practice,if you feel not ready for nasty then just go play around on gentle contour(not the local sports fields!) in the wet/mud getting the feel for the bike sliding about under throttle,and brakes at slow speed.figure 8's,donuts,steering the slide while rear locked etc.
A. theres no dust
B. the ground is softer when you crash and youre less likely to break levers
C. improves your bike handling/feel and body position/balance
D. its a lot of fun!
That sounds like a blast!

I did play a bit today on the trail with locking up the rear on purpose. Just to get use to feeling it slide about and how to lean and correct my steering to over come it. It helped later on in the ride when it happen and I didn't do it intentionally.

I have a neighbor that might let me "Play" in his field or down by his pond. No SPORTS fields or golf course for me! I play golf and worked at a course before, I have seen what a quad can do to a course!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 PM

If your not comfortable then you made the right call. I assume your not getting paid and need to show up at work the next day. Better to have many years of safe riding fun then many months with a major injury. Listen to your gut and never apologize to anyone.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
If your not comfortable then you made the right call. I assume your not getting paid and need to show up at work the next day. Better to have many years of safe riding fun then many months with a major injury. Listen to your gut and never apologize to anyone.
Good advise. What is most important, is to just have fun riding motorcycles.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Bravo,

At my Shane Watts class last spring, he had us do what he calls "grinding" on a telephone pole. You approach from the end and get your front wheel on the opposite side as your rear wheel so that the log is riding under your skid plate. You then sort of "pinch" the log as you grind down it - give it gas to keep moving and turn your front wheel into the log.

This is a good approximation of what happens when you power out the end of a rut and your front tire climbs out while your back tire is still churning away in the rut.

This drill helps you get a feel for the proper body position to not get freaked out and stay on the throttle.

I found it helpful! Note - you can sometimes tweak your front end and get your front tire slightly twisted in the forks, but nothing a good kick from the side won't straighten out.
'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63
Old 11-09-2015, 12:53 AM

I don't know about races in US, but around here in Romaniacs country most events provide a Hobby class. Go out and ride the event and have proper fun in mud.

It's going to be tough, remember you will pick up the bike more often then not. It will wear you out very quick. As others have mentioned, you won't feel the falls since the ground is soft and it will teach you a lot about throttle control.

p.s. around here we do not have the notion of hare scramble, so i don't know what kind of race it is, take with a grain of salt
Old 11-15-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poelinca View Post
I don't know about races in US, but around here in Romaniacs country most events provide a Hobby class. Go out and ride the event and have proper fun in mud.

It's going to be tough, remember you will pick up the bike more often then not. It will wear you out very quick. As others have mentioned, you won't feel the falls since the ground is soft and it will teach you a lot about throttle control.

p.s. around here we do not have the notion of hare scramble, so i don't know what kind of race it is, take with a grain of salt
In most regions of the US, race promoters offer a "Beginner" class. Sadly, the class is usually won by the local "trail riding champion" who should actually be riding the A class but instead, sandbags the beginner class just to steal a trophy.