Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 PM

Default Modify stock head or buy one?

I'm thinking of getting the head modded on my '11 300. Would people recommend keeping the stock head stock and purchasing another head to modify/get S3 head with inserts?

From what I've read most people are happy with the mod, I just get nervous permenatly changing something with no easy way of changing back.

If I was to get the S3 head with inserts could I leave one insert standard and if the squish needed adjusting modify one of the inserts? When you modify the S3 for squish / readjustment of the bowl do you only modify the insert or the head itself?

Or is it cheaper/ same price to purchase a stock head and get it modified that way I have a stock and a modified head?

Or am I worrying about nothing and wasting my money and should just get my current head modified and with the money I save get the 36mm carb oval bored as well

Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
I'm thinking of getting the head modded on my '11 300. Would people recommend keeping the stock head stock and purchasing another head to modify/get S3 head with inserts?

From what I've read most people are happy with the mod, I just get nervous permenatly changing something with no easy way of changing back.

If I was to get the S3 head with inserts could I leave one insert standard and if the squish needed adjusting modify one of the inserts? When you modify the S3 for squish / readjustment of the bowl do you only modify the insert or the head itself?

Or is it cheaper/ same price to purchase a stock head and get it modified that way I have a stock and a modified head?

Or am I worrying about nothing and wasting my money and should just get my current head modified and with the money I save get the 36mm carb oval bored as well
If you have money to waste get the S3. They look GREAT Depending on your current squish, the gasket stack you use etc you may need to machine the S3 head and insert down to get the squish right. Then the other inserts are useless. I configured mine so that the high high compression insert and head brought my squish in tight and then had some material removed from the chamber to reduce the compression again to let the engine rev out. The net results are no better than having the stock head machined though, and ends up costing a heap more!

If you have your head machined and are unhappy with the results I'll swap you your machined head for my stock EC300 head (as long as you have someone who knows what they're doing do the work). Haha!

At the end of the day if someone does it properly all you are doing is blueprinting the head. Reducing manufacturing tolerances to the correct/smaller end of the spectrum. As a bonus you get better power, better fuel economy, and more stable combustion/jetting results over greater variances in elevation and temp.

If you want to buy my stock head you can too. Make an offer.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
If you have money to waste get the S3. They look GREAT Depending on your current squish, the gasket stack you use etc you may need to machine the S3 head and insert down to get the squish right. Then the other inserts are useless. I configured mine so that the high high compression insert and head brought my squish in tight and then had some material removed from the chamber to reduce the compression again to let the engine rev out. The net results are no better than having the stock head machined though, and ends up costing a heap more!

If you have your head machined and are unhappy with the results I'll swap you your machined head for my stock EC300 head (as long as you have someone who knows what they're doing do the work). Haha!

At the end of the day if someone does it properly all you are doing is blueprinting the head. Reducing manufacturing tolerances to the correct/smaller end of the spectrum. As a bonus you get better power, better fuel economy, and more stable combustion/jetting results over greater variances in elevation and temp.

If you want to buy my stock head you can too. Make an offer.
Thanks mate but I think I'll take your advice and just get the stock head machined. I'll probably get DMCCA from DBW to do the work. You and everyone else that have used him seem happy.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

He's on here too on occassion

Very pleased with his work and work ethics. Very much willing to lay the cards on the table and let you decide which way you want to go. As any good mechanic should when dealing with your $$. I can't remember how many stupid questions I asked him, to which he answered them all. I learnt heaps just by discussing things with Dave. No issues giving him my moneys for that alone. I actually think I'm going to stick a few of his stickers on my bike (once he sends me them!) haha!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
Thanks mate but I think I'll take your advice and just get the stock head machined. I'll probably get DMCCA from DBW to do the work. You and everyone else that have used him seem happy.
Do it, you wont regret it.

Another happy TSP customer.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Don't waste $$ on another head thats just closer, get the one you have modified for a true custom fit to the motor.