Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM

What does the Kerosene do in the mix ?

Whats the shelf life of Toulene ?

Kim

05 Pampera 250

Old 03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
What does the Kerosene do in the mix ?

Whats the shelf life of Toulene ?

Kim
Toluene has a pretty good self life (it's a highly refined paint thinner). The K1 Kerosene is to counter act the washing effect that the Toluene produces.

Ron
Old 03-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Next time your in a bike shop, grab a bottle of octane booster and read the contents.

Ron,

What, if anything, can be added to pump gas the nullify the effects of ethanol, or more specificly the various percentages of ethanol to stabilize the mix for more consistancy?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Ron,

What, if anything, can be added to pump gas the nullify the effects of ethanol, or more specificly the various percentages of ethanol to stabilize the mix for more consistancy?
Hi Glenn,

I really do not know of any aditive that would counter act the ethanol problem. The only consistant fuels I know of, is the AV gas LL100 or race gas that comes in 55 gal drums.

Ron
Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 PM

I've always mixed various amounts of VP red with pump gas to equalize the seasonal blend changes here and minimize the jetting effects. At $8/gal though, an alternative would be nice.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Caster blend oils work well with alky based fuels since they are both organic, and as such should counter some of neg effects of alky content.

Last edited by widebear; 03-04-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 PM

Too dirty, love the smell though.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Smile Ethanol effects

If you're concerned about the 10% ethanol in gas, the best thing is to run 100% race fuel. I know its not cheap, you might find some non ethanol gas in more rural areas. I seems as though anywhere near a larger city every gas station sells only the 10% blend. The 100LL av gas w/ toulene & K1 sounds interesting, If memory serves me correctly I believe the 100 octane av gas is about 96- 98 octane when run thru a RON or MON engine. That would be more than enough for any stock compression engine. Perhaps you could check w/ some car clubs that specialize in 1960's muscle cars. Those vehicles werre engineered to run on HEAVILY leaded gas w/ no alcohol, see where they buy fuel. If all fails try the 50/50 race fuel blend, as long as you're not jetted on the edge of being too lean you'd have such a small amount of ethanol, it might not be such a big problem. Several years ago Moose Racing made some Alcohol kits (for people who couldn't get enough horsepower), you could contact them to see what changes were needed. I realize you don't want any alcohol in your fuel , just find out from them what can go wrong, prepare yourself for the worst, see what oil worked best w/ pure alcohol, etc. Might be worth a shot. Allow me to blow off my 'Brains', or lack of.The engines used in the refinery labs look about like a 4 hp Briggs & Stratton driven via belts by a 40- 50 hp elec. motor. Really!!! The elect. motor can be used to stabilize, increase/ decrease rpm. The cyl. heads are a flat head design and the head itself can be raised or lowered while the engine is running, hence the term Research Octane Number (RON) , timing is also adjusted on the fly, along w/ rpm. Motor Octane Number (MON) is much lower, the elect. motor can also be used to increase engine load(drag), and the timing is set at one point, and the cyl. head stays put. Granted , these engines are 4 cycle so they can run on fuel that would gag a 2 stroke. Just about any premium / hi octane fuel is going to work OK in a stock compression engine. If you're really concerned over it , add race fuel, some good quality octane booster, and don't skimp on the quality of the 2 cycle oil, happy trails to you.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 PM

My bike runs very well on pump gas, no need for race fuel from an octane perspective. Its just that the ethanol content varies seasonally, with more in winter blend fuel from Nov to April. This, along with cold, compound mixture changes. Race fuel blended in negates this change and keeps things more consistant.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 AM

I think we're lucky in the UK. Pump gas (petrol) has plenty of octane and seems the same winter or summer although I have no idea if it actually is. Would drive me crazy if I had to rejet for winter, especially if never sure when and which stations have switched.