Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Intro and 2003 MC205 conversion to New England woods machine

First post!
I am currently tearing down my 2003 Gas Gas MC250 that I got on the very cheap last fall. Craigslist ftw.

I am currently in the process of getting the suspension off to go to Factory Connection and getting everything apart to fix little issues here and there. My last experience in full tear down was my KDX200R and that bike was def in better shape than the Gasser is.

On the slate (and in the budget)-
-FC suspension service and valve
-New fluids (brakes and tranny)
-New chain and sprockets
-Some rollers for the beat-up chain guide
-Carb cleaning and re-jetting (sounds like I am prolly gonna new some new parts there)
-new plug (multiple for jetting)
-new bearings for rear linkage? (potential)

Anywho, I have the bike mostly apart. However, my Triple Clamp Bolts are frozen, 4 of 10 of them I can't get to budge. Just three on one side on the bottom, the others are all freed.

In the process one of my hex sockets snapped clean off in the head of one of the bolts. Doh! I started looking around, are the MC triple clamps all the same even though I have the Ohlins suspension?

Anyways, look forward to posting and using some of the resources of this forum. Plan is to make the bike a reliable fast woods bike.

Pics-

Last edited by SideshowBob; 06-16-2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Title change

Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi Bob,

Welcome over here. I'm sorry you didn't get the 3-clamp bolts out.

Ed
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 AM

Tis' ok I am determined and slightly dumb. And I can always hammer on the 1985 XT350 :lol:

I did notice there seems to be quite a few crossover users.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 AM

I had a similar problem with one set of forks two bolts sheared and the others were real tight,
The sheared bolts i drilled out and fitted stainless steel inserts (helicoils)
the tight ones i warmed up the triple clamps (i used oxy acetlene) but you need to be very carefull else you will end up with a pile of molten ali on the floor, The other option is to put the clamps in an oven to heat up then attempt to undo the bolts.

FMF Gnarly
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 AM

I have an 03 EC 250 and the WP 43mm forks, while taking off the lower triple bolts, I also had some issues. They were pretty tough to remove, once removed, I noticed a single ring of threads on each bolt.
I was able to unscrew the thread, after that I bought a large container of antisieze.
Needless to say I've been going crazy with this stuff!

BTW You will want to replace your fuel line, filter and air lines from your carb. I'm using the yellow Tygon air lines.
While messing with one of the lines, it broke off in my hand and they looked in better shape than yours.

2008 KTM 530

Former Fantasies:
2007 KTM 525
2004 Honda CR250R
2011 Gas-Gas EC 300
2009 KTM 300 XC-W
2004 KDX 200
2000 KDX 220
2003 Gas-Gas EC 250
2004 Honda CRF 250X
2005 Honda CRF 250X

What can I say, I'm schizophrenic and ambidextrous!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 AM

For the seized triple clamp bolts, make sure you DON'T take them out 1 at a time. For best results loosen them all evenly 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time (the ones that are next to each other) otherwise it leaves so much pressure on the remaining screw(s) that they will feel seized. So hopefully yours aren't seized. Run the removed bolts back in and tighten them up then see if the "seized" ones will come out. I'm unsure if other triple clamps are the same as the Ohlins. WP's and Zokes share the same top clamp, not sure of the bottom and I'm unsure where the Ohlins fits in. Good luck.
btw, try not to damage the bolts if they are the 7mm hex head. You can't buy them from hardare stores!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM

I'll second jostby's suggestion about cracking them all loose a little bit etc. The same logic applies when re-torquing the triples. You have to do it in steps 'cuz the first one you tighten will always loosen when you get up on the second, etc...

You might know all this already but ...

No one mentioned an impact so I will.

If no air impact every shadetree mechanic oughta have a hand impact. The hit with a hammer type. The quick snap turn of the hammer blow will crack stuff loose much easier than a slow steady pressure from a wrench.

But before hitting with an impact do as others have suggested and apply a good amount of heat and penetrating oil. In addition to expanding the triple, the heat seems to help the pen oil suck in too. Let 'em soak for a good while before a whack with the impact.

As far as a MC for the woods... here are a couple things I found with my '05 MC 250. I'm an old MX'er (real old) and kind of a noob to this real tight enduro stuff so it may not necessarily apply at whatever your skill level might be.

- The "hit" was crazy. The first thing I did after firing 'er up was loop it in the back yard testing "loftability." I put on a 12oz. flywheel weight, a G2 throttle with the "slow" cam, went with Pobits recommended jetting for smooth power. 178 main, 42 pilot, CCK needle clip 3. My buddy with an '04 EC 250 still thinks my MC has "angry" power delivery but I think it's fine now.

-The suspension was way stiff but I see you are going to take care of that. Good move. Those Ohlins should be sweet.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website

Last edited by rpduc; 03-22-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 AM

Get yourself some frame protectors for near the footpegs - thay are black and run a long way up the frame. They will stop further paint wear but also will look a lot smarter.

Welcome to the club.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiterrider View Post
BTW You will want to replace your fuel line, filter and air lines from your carb. I'm using the yellow Tygon air lines.
While messing with one of the lines, it broke off in my hand and they looked in better shape than yours.
Where'd you get those (tygon)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
- The "hit" was crazy. The first thing I did after firing 'er up was loop it in the back yard testing "loftability." I put on a 12oz. flywheel weight, a G2 throttle with the "slow" cam, went with Pobits recommended jetting for smooth power. 178 main, 42 pilot, CCK needle clip 3. My buddy with an '04 EC 250 still thinks my MC has "angry" power delivery but I think it's fine now.
Thanks for the tip on the jetting. What is a CCK needle? Is Pobits a member or a store? Please excuse the noobiness of these questions.

I need to do a flywheel weight as well, what brand did you use?

I was fine on the bike, but I was pretty cautious. It's also jetted all wrong so when I get it right it's gonna be scarier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
Get yourself some frame protectors for near the footpegs - thay are black and run a long way up the frame. They will stop further paint wear but also will look a lot smarter.

Welcome to the club.
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Poboit is a member on the site.

The CCK needle can be purchased from a dealer. I think Ron at RB Designs (sponsor) stocks them, but I'd imagine they might have them a any shop. You just need to talk to someone that is smart enough to know the needles by something other than microfiche.