Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Lower back problem.

Hi guys, looking for some help here. Lower back issues aren't that unusual to many of us here. But what I was wondering is, what Kidney belts/back supports do you all use. I've been using a cheap Delkevic one now for a while but find that getting older/unfitter it's not up to the job. I don't mind price really, but I do wear body armour (Knox) which has a terrible kidney belt system IMO, but otherwise is light. Let me know which types you all find the best. For your info I'm a skinny lanky type 1.82m 75kgs, if this helps with the fittings.

Regards,
Robs.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM

I use a double system.

An elastic back brace from your local Walgreens, Walmart or Sports Authority. On top of that is another block & tackle brace that I can really cinch down that I got from my chiropractor. I use this to reduce the compression shock on my back and bulging disks which irritate nerves which send impulses to surrounding muscles.

After the ride, *any* sensation of soreness is treated with ice, ice, and more ice. Those large freezable packs in a cloth bag with elastic is what I use. Never on direct skin. And I usually wrap that with my elastic brace to transfer the cold better. Watch out for burned skin. I don't tend to use any analgesics unless it is very bad.

What I am trying to do with the ice is to calm the nerve impulses tbat are caused by my bulging discs irritating them. The ice also reduces the amount the muscles contract (which causes the nerves to be even more irritated).

One last tool. I have an $80 inversion table from Big 5 Sports. I use this for 20 seconds at a time to release a bit of pressure. Some hanf upside down for many minutes. I get all I need in a much shorter time.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM

I had bad back pain in my mid 40's. I tried chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, kidney belts, physical therapy, exercising, memory foam mattress, etc.

What I learned over a period of 4+ years is that a wide range of stretching exercises over a maximum range of motion to relax and unlock the back muscles was the key for me. I stretch every day and am rarely bothered by back pain. At age 51, I hauled 4 ton of hay bales by myself a few weeks ago and my back didn't bother me the next day. I now do exercises without pain that the physical therapist said I wouldn't likely be able to do again, like deadlifts and overhead pressing.

Another thing I adopted along the way is stand up riding every possible moment, even on gravel roads. The only time I sit is when I need to paddle my way through a difficult spot.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM

I avoid doing things that will bring on the flare ups. Such as lifting at angles, riding without my braces.

I also had two sessions of "neural ablatiion" (inaccurately referred to as "nerve burning" to you commoners). It deadens the nerves that are rubbed the wrong say by bulging discs. Not for everybody. And not a permanent fix.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
I had bad back pain in my mid 40's. I tried chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, kidney belts, physical therapy, exercising, memory foam mattress, etc.

What I learned over a period of 4+ years is that a wide range of stretching exercises over a maximum range of motion to relax and unlock the back muscles was the key for me. I stretch every day and am rarely bothered by back pain. At age 51, I hauled 4 ton of hay bales by myself a few weeks ago and my back didn't bother me the next day. I now do exercises without pain that the physical therapist said I wouldn't likely be able to do again, like deadlifts and overhead pressing.

Another thing I adopted along the way is stand up riding every possible moment, even on gravel roads. The only time I sit is when I need to paddle my way through a difficult spot.
I am in the same boat mate and I do what you do plus a few core muscle exercises. My core took ages to build up to where the back felt better. Now the back is pretty good.
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM

I to have had back problems of varying degrees, like most of the above posts, those siting down moments just as the back wheel bucks and seems to use the spine as an extended shock absorber, im careful lifting a lot more now. one thing i self medicated was the use of modern crutches to get around when recovering, it helped to uncompress the bodes weight in that focused area with some ibuprofen occasionally really sped up my recovery...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM

I have currently a slipped disc in my lower back and had really bad pain. Since I am doing some kind of special back training, the pain is gone and I was two times riding without problems.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I use a fabric weight lifters belt.
the kidney belts are a joke compared to the real weight belts.
I love it and it saves my back.
After the ride, and inversion table helps get things straight again.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

Back from a recommended physio today, he had me in a type of traction belt/table & then some electric shock gizmo. Was in discomfort after but feeling much better now. He specializes in sports guys like football & rugby, plus he cycles himself so should know his stuff. Was thinking of ditching the bike kidney belts altogether & buying a Mueller style lower back specific one alright, as those guys probably know their business. Now let the healing begin, anyone know how long this'll take to heal, as I've a charity event coming up I don't wanna miss in August. Racing is pretty much gone for the season now. Thanks for all the help & advice guys.

Robs.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:02 PM

I've done the traction table thing many times (at a maxed-out 150 pounds of tension). Same with electro-stim. I'm not convinced that it helped in the least bit. Hanging upsidedown for half a minute a few times a day followed by ice-ice-ice is my go-to treatment when my preventive mechanisms fail.