Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 11-19-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Rotator Cuff

Pretty sure I have a torn rotator cuff. My appointment with my orthopedist is Dec 15. The week after I ride with dirt dude, and pick up my sons new GG! So the Doc can't tell me not to ride!

I rode today and it wasn't real easy. The steep descents get me the most. Just can't hold myself up. Feels better standing than sitting and working on weigh placement so I don't put too much on the left arm.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife

Old 11-20-2016, 04:31 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it'll heal up on it's own.

I've injured mine several times over the years, once hanging sheetrock, not sure about the other time(s). Both times it was so bad I couldn't even use the arm to brush my teeth or do other every day things, but healed up fine over time.

Hope it's the same for you.

RB
Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 PM

Same here. For me it took a long time to heal. if it is a full tear they will do surgery. In my 20's I had a partial tear which took about a year to heal. I did my other one a few years ago (in my 30's) and it's back to about 80% now after 3 years, but this was a combination of an AC joint separation as well as the rotator cuff though.

I did the cortisone injections for my most recent one, and it worked like magic! Only problem is, once the cortisone wore off it was very aggravated because of how much it had been used with no pain to limit my movements. Although it did allow for lots of strengthening exercises to be done that my physio gave me to do. So I'm not sure if the cortisone was good or bad...

My riding positions don't seem to bother my shoulders though, which is a plus! Good luck with your recovery!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 AM

Shoot, I have a long way to go. No matter what I don't think I can have surgery until April.

The one thing I found out riding Saturday was apparently I put too much weight on my arms. So I adjusted my positioning. And it allowed a couple more laps at our local hare scramble practice course.

Silver lining is maybe this will be a good thing if it fixes some issues with my riding. Lol

This particular shoulder has been dislocated a couple of times so it's not all that surprising I'm having issues.

I'm not a fan of cortisone shots and neither is my Dr. While they deaden the pain they also degrade the soft tissue. Making the issues worse sometimes. He only gives 1 to see if you can do PT to strengthen it.

This guy is a great sports medicine Dr. He understands wanting to keep high activity levels and doesn't want to be too invasive.

He told me with my knee that I needed a replacement but made me wait 10 years because I was too young and didn't want to limit future activity.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
Old 11-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

just did that... kinda different tho..

got hung up on a log crossing, fell into a hole. broke my humerus there the rotator cuff ties on and popped shoulder out... had to pop back in and ride about 12 miles of trail back.. no fun at all

had surgery a year ago September (I am an old fart at 54) it was no fun at all, but am pretty much back where I was before the incident..

hope yours heals good... rehab is the key..

jay
Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Good luck

Had mine done 4 or so years ago. But it was really bad, well worth it for me .
just injured it again -falling over on a step ladder !!!!! Feels like its been getting better by itself . Try taking turmeric / circumen Its a natural anti inflammatory and I really think it works
Good luck
Stoby
Old 11-28-2016, 07:20 AM

I know what that feels like all to well and its no fun at all. I have had one on my left side and have had three surgery's on my right shoulder and can not lift my arm over straight out any more. I have a 1 & 1/4" tear in my Labrum and is beyond repair. Get your self a EVS shoulder support. I could not ride with out one. You will not believe how much it will help and is worth every penny. I use the EVS SB03 only because the SB04 was not out when I bought it.

http://evs-sports.com/moto/support-b...oulder-support

PS. If your doctor wants you to get a Cat scan with die injected into your shoulder tell him to go blow him self. That was just as painful as the surgery!!! Get a MRI instead.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Well had Dr appointment today. He needs to confirm with an MRI but he said he'd bet his next paycheck I have a torn labrum.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Matt do you remember telling me to be careful riding on the ICE last time I saw you . Well I went down at around 25 mph and now have joined the sore shoulder group along with a bruised thigh But time will heal me now I am going to stud up the bike !
Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Matt do you remember telling me to be careful riding on the ICE last time I saw you . Well I went down at around 25 mph and now have joined the sore shoulder group along with a bruised thigh But time will heal me now I am going to stud up the bike !

Ugh. I rode an xtrainer with studs. It was amazing.

Hope you're fine. The MRI will get scheduled.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco