Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Elbow fracture

Decided to take a quick ride 3/23 after work since it was a nice day and I needed to start getting some seat time. I've worked very hard this winter on training and balancing/body positioning drills and have felt extremely comfortable on my bike. I felt like I was riding very smooth and kept telling myself "slow and smooth cause smooth is fast". Im still putting my Gasser back together after a total rebuild so I was out on my CR 250. I was practicing gripping the bike with my legs and it is difficult on the 98 CR since the bike is very narrow and straight. By the time the body flares so you can catch yourself your legs are very far back on the numberplates and front arms are completely outstretched. I had gone back and forth several times and was riding pretty good. One the last pass before heading home I was coming up a rolling hill and the powerband started to hit which threw me back. I caught myself with my legs but my arms were straight and I was still hard on the throttle in 3rd gear. The bike wasn't going to flip and I knew the trail so I planned on ridding it out and all would be fine. With the front tire off the ground the bike in an instant began to turn right very fast and before I could react I hit an 18" hickory tree. I was able to somewhat shield myself from the tree with the bike as the front tire just missed it. I hit it anywhere from 25-35mph im guessing right on the pipe and clutch cover. I remember turning my body at the last second to try and miss the tree but I hit it hard with my rt arm and rt hip/leg. I knew I broke my arm and my bike was leaking oil and the pipe was completely smashed shut. Called my wife and she was trying to find someone to find me. Sat there about 5 mins and started the 2 mile walk home. Guys got me about 3 mins from home and off to ER we go. I fractured my rt olecranon into 7 pieces and broke one of the 2 bones in my rt forearm halfway btw wrist and elbow. Was in surgery for 8hrs to repair it and have 3 plates an my arm. With that said Doc says I should have a full recovery which I am very thankful for. Another 4" right and it would have been head on and who knows what could've happened. Very thankful I am only nursing a broken arm. Very sad though that this prob ends my enduro racing career that is only 2 years old. At 35 I prob cant chance hurting this arm again. I fell in love with this sport and felt I was so close to becoming a much better rider. We'll see what the doc says but I will prob be left with a big ? as to what kind of a rider I could've become. I really saw myself doing this well into my 50's and am pretty bummed out but hey, at least im still here!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Really sorry to hear this kind of thing and do not give up hope you can still ride but you will need to keep it uprite . I preach to my buddies to ride trials as a way to improve your skill level and wear the rite gear . I have been wearing a 661 all body armour suit for many years . And tonight I went to my local bike shop and ordered a new Fly Racing body suit . The elbow and arm protection along with the front and back protection make the extream heat it generates worth it . I also wear knee braces even though my knees are fine . I have broken my leg , arm , some fingers and the most painful a bunch of ribs . 60 is just around the corner for me and I have lots of guys who have packed in riding . Almost everyone I grew up with in fact . But for sure the bug will bite again and when it does give trials a try and move slowly back to the fast bikes . Hang in there and good luck .
Old 04-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the tip on the body armor. Going to check them out right now. I just had pants, jersey, boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, and a chest protector on. After a hit like that it makes you realize how vulnerable your elbows really are to getting hit. I will def be on a bike again but I will prob look like a very irresponsible person to my family if I race again. Once you wreck and get hurt all the I told you so people come out of the woodwork. I can say in the short time ive been on a bike its been the most fun and the most self rewarding thing ive ever done. Even with the broken arm I wouldn't trade that for bird watching in the backyard.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

You will be racing again by the sound of it . I have to race a few times a year just for fun never to win . My thrill comes from passing people in the tuff stuff and let them by me on the fast stuff just to get them in the tuff stuff again . That is where the rials riding comes into play .