Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
I don?t know how serious his was but he broke his hip and pelvis at the same time. Thats why 20 years later he had to get a titanium hip.
Pelvis is bad, particularly as it causes serious internal bleeding and is often linked to lower spinal injuries.

It is likely that his fracture was higher than mine - between the ball and the top of the femur.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:59 AM

Two weeks in and I continue to gain strength. I had the stitches and staples removed yesterday. Fully out of the wheel-chair now, crutches only.

The right radius is giving me no issues at all although I still have some stiffness in both wrists.

I now have more strength in the left leg. I can lift it clear of the bed without support and am able to use it to steady myself when standing on the right or using crutches.

The next milestone should be in about 4 weeks when x-rays will hopefully confirm that I can ditch the crutches altogether.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
The rod does not have to be removed unless it is causing problems....pain. I have a rod in my leg since 2011. Still ride, hike and go through airports without problems. Expect to limp for about a year, not because of pain, but because your normal walking gait will alter from not walking normally. Good luck in your recovery and don't rush it.
I had a conversation with one of the medical team yesterday which gave me something to think about. His advice was to think carefully before returning to biking or any other activity with the potential to damage the femur because, in the event of a further break, there is a very real risk of the rod becoming a spear which passes up through the pelvis and many of the internal organs. His recommendation was that it is better to have the rod removed after 12 months if I am going to return to bikes in the future.

Has anybody else been given such a warning?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The doc told me, with the hardware in my humerus.... motorcycle racing is dangerous and that there was a real chance of shattering the bone with the hardware left in. 20 plus years of racing and still in with no problems.

We all make our own choices and take our chances when riding. Seems you have some time to decide. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, hope your back to riding soon.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Shoot,my buddy has been riding for 20 years as well with his. I think it may be time to find a sports medicine orthopedist that isn’t worried about a lawsuit. My ortho is well aware of my activities and gives me his best advice. He is also one of the ortho’s for the VT football team. He knows I want to stay active and helps me do so.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 PM

My brother had a rod put in his femur and then later taken out. Drs told him that if he were to reinjure the femur again it could be really ugly to fix with a piece of bent metal in it.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:07 AM

It is all a case of if's and maybe's.

I have been riding for 27 years and riding dirt for 16. In that time my only other injury has been a broken rib. Now I could ride another 20 years and never break another bone, or at least not the femur, and it would be totally fine. Or I could have a crash in a car and push the rod back through the pelvis. It's all down to luck, or lack of it. But it's something that I need to consider. That said, the injury was caused by a collision with a truck - not something that should happen if I was properly off road rather than on a connecting trail.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
My brother had a rod put in his femur and then later taken out. Drs told him that if he were to reinjure the femur again it could be really ugly to fix with a piece of bent metal in it.
^This!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
^This!!!
exactly my concern
Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Update - 6 weeks

Went for a set of x-rays today. The surgeon is happy with the progress so far and has cleared me to take weight on the broken leg, building up to ditching the crutches within 2 weeks. Still huge gaps between the bits of bone but he is happy that they are showing signs of growth at the ends and that the rod is stable enough to do its job.

I followed this with a visit to the physio who reinforced the 2 weeks to crutch free - his aim is to teach me to walk properly again without a limp and says that it is as much about teaching the brain as it is the muscles, although I think it is the muscles that will be hurting.

Other than walking I am clear to swim and use a static bike for exercise.

Back for more x-rays in 4 weeks time when I will also ask the surgeon about the long term and ask his advice on rod removal at a later date.