Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Trials Technical Forums > Trials Other...

Old 11-16-2020, 05:25 PM

Default Three basic questions about 2007 Pro TXT 125.

Hello
I recently bought a used 2007 Gas Gas Pro TXT 125, my first Gas Gas after a long succession of bikes that began with a Greeves in 1961. There are not many trials bikes in Canada, and Gas Gas is not the most numerous so it?s a little hard to find a source of information on little things that perhaps everybody else knows. If anyone can answer one, two or all of these I will be grateful.

1 does the colour of the spring on the rear shock signify spring stiffness? Mine is black and feels a little stiffer than my 128 pounds would like.

2 Is there a special tool to loosen the front axle? There?s a large hex shaped hole that is too small for 17 mm and too large for 14 mm hex keys.

3. What is the ?mineral oil? used in the clutch hydraulics? In some English-speaking countries mineral oil is a medicine, what about viscosity?
In some parts of Canada riders are now putting away their trials bikes and some are getting out their studded tires for ice racing, but I?m fortunate to live in a small area of Canada where we can ride trials bikes year round.

Cheers

Deemon

Old 11-17-2020, 01:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemon View Post
Hello
I recently bought a used 2007 Gas Gas Pro TXT 125, my first Gas Gas after a long succession of bikes that began with a Greeves in 1961. There are not many trials bikes in Canada, and Gas Gas is not the most numerous so it?s a little hard to find a source of information on little things that perhaps everybody else knows. If anyone can answer one, two or all of these I will be grateful.

1 does the colour of the spring on the rear shock signify spring stiffness? Mine is black and feels a little stiffer than my 128 pounds would like.

2 Is there a special tool to loosen the front axle? There?s a large hex shaped hole that is too small for 17 mm and too large for 14 mm hex keys.

3. What is the ?mineral oil? used in the clutch hydraulics? In some English-speaking countries mineral oil is a medicine, what about viscosity?
In some parts of Canada riders are now putting away their trials bikes and some are getting out their studded tires for ice racing, but I?m fortunate to live in a small area of Canada where we can ride trials bikes year round.

Cheers

Deemon
Unfortunately, I don't know much about the trials bikes. So my only contribution will be question #3.

For the clutch I use GRO mineral oil in my enduro bike (bike and oil imported by our Norwegian Gasgas importer), but the GRO brand may be difficult to find. You can use the same oil that they use in hydraulic bicycle disk brakes, e.g. Magura. I guess any decent bike shop would have something useful. The viscosity is pretty low, but I have no numbers at hand.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 11-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

you may get more relevant answers from one of the trials forums (trialscentral.com)

I have an 03 txt and don't remember anything strange with the front axle, will have a look tonight (bonus of trials over enduro is how infrequently you have to change tyres!)

and if you are questioning the rear fork spring your trials is much more advanced than mine! The one thing i found moving from enduro to trials is how little trials guys think about upgrading their suspension - i guess it has to do with the associated consequences of poor suspension?

the mineral oil can also be fork oil - intereestingly i just did a search on the trials forum and there appears to be a few people who have replaced mineral oil with water! (just don't use brake fluid)