Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Please recommend pipe guard brands for hard enduro. Or not.

Also, looking to be sensible economically. I've heard Hyde is best but also heard fitment may not be great. Even the US distributor seems unsure.

Hall's recommended the E Line for my 17 GasGas EC300. Said P3 may be a touch better but not $70 better.

Not really wanting a metal one that's super heavy. Currently, my bike has the stock skid plate. I got a E Line pipe guard for $99 from Hall's but am uncertain now. I can return it but it will prob cost $20 to return it, at least.

Hyde combo is over $200. Also, the stock GG skid plate seems to also bolt to the pipe so really wondering about fitment on Hyde. I generally have my mechanic do stuff so uf it has to be modded a lot im not sure i want to do it.

And, of course, a lot of people don't even run pipe guards in hard enduro.

So, trying to balance common sense and economics.

Thoughts?

Old 12-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Rudolph Hucker has one for sale that looked like a nice piece, , he was too lazy to get off his arse to send it to me, and made up a fairytale as to why he couldn't do it.

Maybe his lethargy has passed and he would ship to you.....maybe send him a PM.

Gassernate also had one for sale that is the same as the one I currently have(pro power). It wasn't a great fit new, but with some rubber mallet work it fits OK

On re-reading I see you have a '17, my fault

Last edited by rodent; 12-13-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Have never needed one. My '11 had a carbon fiber one when I bought it and I removed it after it bent the pipe real bad.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I think the p3 is great. ive had mine for for about 8 years and it has seen a lot of rocks (it did the training for and the roof of africa) it is strong, and slim, unlike the hyde that isa mud catcher and i got a few dents through the hyde.

The problem with the p3 or any carbon guard is that big hits will bend it at the neck of the pipe (at the engine end) but with time you get quite good at bending it back.

My recommendation for rock riding would be the TM sump guard (or axp or hyde sump only in that order) and a p3 pipe guard (if the eline is similar strength that may be fine, but i have seen some that look more decorative than anything else)

PS there must be a reason why hyde started making carbon fibre pipe guards