Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:54 AM

Default do you plate your enduro bikes?

just curious, because I about to get my 2 stroke and no t sure if should I register it and pay insurance etc. I intend to use it 100% off-road but some
enduro events possible and that can be a problem as some require plates, right

Old 12-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have plated all my enduro bikes since I got my license in the early 80's. One of the perks of living in New Hampshire is that it still is easy to do.

In New England there are many events that require a street plate.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:56 PM

I have plated the last two bikes here in Utah as it is quite easy (2 stroke and 4 stroke). It has been very useful having the plate in linking together trails.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:38 AM

I'm not saying it's not easy, just I hate additional annual cost to it what we have here in Europe anyway.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Depends on your local situation.

In Australia we need to have a registered/plated vehicle to ride it in public areas, even if it is 100% off-road, as the public bushland is still considered public roads.

Part of this registration process also provides accident insurance, ambulance cover, etc. so it's not only a legal requirement but also an insurance policy/safety-net to do so over here in the event that you crash and get injured.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmygod View Post
Depends on your local situation.

In Australia we need to have a registered/plated vehicle to ride it in public areas, even if it is 100% off-road, as the public bushland is still considered public roads.

Part of this registration process also provides accident insurance, ambulance cover, etc. so it's not only a legal requirement but also an insurance policy/safety-net to do so over here in the event that you crash and get injured.
but who can find you in bush
Old 12-12-2019, 04:35 AM

The Police on their own bikes do.
Have to load up onto the trailer, they like to wait
Old 12-12-2019, 04:36 AM

I haven't street plated my last two but most here in Arizona do. It's so easy to street plate a bike here. It's only an extra $4 for the plate/registration and about $100 a year for insurance.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 12-12-2019, 07:38 AM

All the trails in the UK are officially public roads so you have to be plated, taxed and insured anyway. ?55 to register (1 off) then around ?40 per year tax and ?120 insurance.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Depending on where you ride (example Colorado)you may need to take some surface roads between trails or to get gas. In Illinois, I have plated MX bikes in the past just by showing the currency exchange a receipt for lights, mirror and a horn. Another time I had a police officer sign a quick letter saying he saw the lights, mirror and horn on the bike and sent that with a photo with the registration paperwork. Honestly I think Illinois is fine if you do not have the appropriate equipment so they can write you for equipment violation tickets later. ;-)

One other benefit. It helps the resale of older dirt bikes. I sold my 2005 Husky TE510 a few years ago and several people were looking at it only because it was a street legal motorcycle. The did not plan to ride it offroad.