Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:24 AM

Default Gas gas catches fire! will not rev past 1/4 throttle

2012ec300r

After my bike was completely submerged in water, i went to flush it out and the bike cought fire from the spark plug wire and fumes from gas coming out of the top end.

http://youtu.be/OEbpChGpA8I

after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely out of the motor and get it running again, I ended up riding 15 to 20 miles back to my friends boat, then transferred it back to the island I live on and got it home safely.

if you watch the video above you can see that a lot of sand was thrown onto the bike and some I know got into the motor from trying to get the fire put out.

The issue i am having is that it will not rev past 1/4throttle to 2/3 throttle, it breaks up, and isnt consistent at all. It idles pefect and revs at top rpm fine, but not in the middle.

since then I have repaired all electrical wires on the bike because they were severely damaged and also clean the carburetor 3 times changed spark plug 3 different times change the throttle cable clean the air filter, checked the reeds, checked piston and rings.

i am out of ideas at this point, it ran fine on the way home and up until i put it all back together. Anyone have some advice on what i should do next?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I would pull the whole bike apart, pull motor out and disassemble. Clean and check everything and reroute the vent from the carb up to the headstem(if not already done).
After that I would ride in deserts and avoid water and kicking the bike with no plug in
Cheers Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocklife View Post
2012ec300r

After my bike was completely submerged in water, i went to flush it out and the bike cought fire from the spark plug wire and fumes from gas coming out of the top end.

after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely out of the motor and get it running again, I ended up riding 15 to 20 miles back to my friends boat, then transferred it back to the island I live on and got it home safely.

if you watch the video above you can see that a lot of sand was thrown onto the bike and some I know got into the motor from trying to get the fire put out.

The issue i am having is that it will not rev past 1/4throttle to 2/3 throttle, it breaks up, and isnt consistent at all. It idles pefect and revs at top rpm fine, but not in the middle.

since then I have repaired all electrical wires on the bike because they were severely damaged and also clean the carburetor 3 times changed spark plug 3 different times change the throttle cable clean the air filter, checked the reeds, checked piston and rings.

i am out of ideas at this point, it ran fine on the way home and up until i put it all back together. Anyone have some advice on what i should do next?

Thanks,

Nick
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 AM

"after this happened I was able to get the bike started back up.. it took 3 to 4 hours and about a thousand kicks to get the water completely"

Remember Gasgas puts a drain plugin the bottom end for this reason. It's a socket allen head, pull and the water will drain out.

Sounds like an electrical problem would start by checking with a multi-meter, do a search there are a some posts on this.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM

No. I thought it was only KTM's that went on fire.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Roger that, I found some threads on multimeter testing. I agree, it is a good idea to go through the entire bike, however i just want to ride

thank you, I will keep you updated on the results.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Checked the impulse coil, it matches specs. Mapping reads correctly... thanks for the advise wimpy. Any other ideas? I ordered ht coil, cap and a new cdi, hoping that does the trick, but it wont be here until Saturday.

One question about the mapping, when on sun mode ohm reads 1. when switched to rain mode it reads .7, this is with the bike off. Does this reading mean my switch is okay? Is .7 enough?
99 CR125
92 KDX220
92 YT250
88 XR80

Last edited by knocklife; 09-23-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:32 AM

Looks like i will be returning all the electrical parts, it was the carburetor! !! Of course, Wohoo
99 CR125
92 KDX220
92 YT250
88 XR80
Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 PM

just about to say clean the carb as you throw sand all over it lol ide be worried about the piston etc if all that crap has gone inside
it happened to me, my main bearing seized up but that was only a few hundred meters plus it was a muddy bomb hole
Old 09-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Did the floats melt?

I'd be splitting the cases too. I know two mates who both encountered sludge holes, got the bikes running again, and wasted the engine. Both thought a new piston and rings would suffice, and in the end both ended up doing the whole engine. Do it right the first time saves a lot of suffering.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:46 PM

Default leaking oil

Hello,

After a long cold winter in Alaska I pulled my ec300 out and it is now leaking oil from both side cases. Does GG make a wet clutch? Should I have oil under my clutch cover case? I am considering sending the whole motor out to get opened up and gone through. This bike cought on fire and had sand thrown in the motor. See the video below. Anyone have any contacts on who would do a good job and go through the motor? My resources are limited on an island in Alaska.

thank you,

Nick
99 CR125
92 KDX220
92 YT250
88 XR80