Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Very Impressed

Hi all. Ive been lurking on this site for several months now, and finally have had the chance to get a couple of good, hard rides in on my new to me 2012 300ec. First off, this is not only myfirst GasGas, but also my first 2t. Im coming off 10 yrs of riding 4 strokes, so im still very new at the 2 stroke thing. This site has been a great resource for me aswell as a few local buddies who either have, or have had 300 gassers .
I bought my bike from Scott Rocher in Stratord Ont. The bike came from Michigan and was used as an Enduro Engineering tester by Al. Lant. I had the suspension done by Rob Lang at his Enduro Engineering shop in London Ontario. The suspension works like a dream now that I have set the sag and broke in the springs a little. Both Rob and Scott were super to deal with and Scott shipped the bike out to NB for me virtually right to my door.

After 10 hrs. or so on the bike I can say that I truely love this thing. The reports that I have read about its low end tourque, and its smooth power delivery are all accurate. This thing crawls up rock infested ravines with basketball sized rocks, crossed up wet roots and mud in 3rd gear....with ease! I couldn't believe it. My buddy runs a 2012 Berg te 250 2 stroke, and we switched up. He used to own an 06 300 gasser. He said afterwards how much he missed his gg...for the tourque and the smooth motor. He said he would have no problem ever owning another gasser (the 2012) again...he loved my bike. Now, his Berg was extremely nice aswell, but he said commented on how perfectly set up my suspension was for the rocks, and how beautiful the tourque was.

This bike just plain, old fashioned rips! Starts easy, runs cool, and handles firm and forgivving for being relatevely heavier than most 300's out there. The turning radius does suck a bit...but i am learning to do wheelie/circle turns instead lol. I have had to play w jetting alot, but think I have found the right combination. I am running 12/48, and have been thinking or installing my 50 rear supersprox, but I really dont think i will anytime soon. If i am getting the low end traction like ive been getting, i cannot see why i would install the 50....but time will tell.

I have had a few issues with my bike that I had to deal and sort out. Some loose screws, a couple fastener problems, rad guard fitment problems w plastic, broken male inserts/rubber grommet problems, air filter fitment problems, subframe plastic and steel frame both rubbing on the airbox and air box gaps. However, I chalk these up as teething problems that are usually common to new bikes....and to the fact that I am very anal about certain things lol.

All in all though, I am VERY impressed w my new 300 Gasser, the people who I dealt with in purchasing it.

Just thought i'd share my thoughts up to this point

Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Where's the pics?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Sweet. Glad you like it. So riding them back to back could you "feel" the extra weight of the GG? Congrats and enjoy.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 AM

His Berg was a little lighter while pushing it around..but no big difference while actually driving. He actually commented that mine felt more planted in the tight, rooty single track. Deflected better. Maybe the few extra pounds made the difference. The biggest differemce though, was the gobs of low end traction that the 300 makes compared to the 250. .....I' d still have no problem owning a 250 Berg though....although I am very happy I chose a 300....and chose a GasGas aswell
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM

The new platform GG is the most plated feeling 2stroke I've ever ridden. It just goes where you point it despite the terrain. I'm sure the weight/distribution has something to do with it, but so does the fork.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM

Cool and kinda what I figured; thanks for the response. Enjoy.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Yep. Loved MP5's bike. Seems GG changed everything I disliked about my old Gasser and retained the thing that I loved,.... that motor! Hated the fork and the placement of the footpegs and rear brake lever on my '06 (as well as a few other things), but that motor is an anvil. 5 years, and never so much as fouled a plug. Yes, the 2012 GG feels heavier than my KatoomaBerg, both in the garage and on the trail. Was it an issue? Nope. Limited steering lock is something they should look into, but that's about it for gripes. I miss climbing slow steep hills in 3rd-sometimes 4th gear. Guess I'll be looking into a 300 top end for my bike now!

Oh yeah, one last note on the 2012 GG EC 300,.... sexiest looking bike ever!

2012 Husaberg TE 250
Old 05-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Congrats on the new bike Mp5 Glad your enjoying it, but I new you would , Looking forward to a test drive next weekend but then I might want a new one. But if this keeps up we might outnumber the Pumpkins some weekend.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

And that rounds out the NBDSC GasGas owning crew, lol! Past and present owners, of course...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xr250 View Post
Congrats on the new bike Mp5 Glad your enjoying it, but I new you would , Looking forward to a test drive next weekend but then I might want a new one. But if this keeps up we might outnumber the Pumpkins some weekend.
Anytime man....and i have no doubt the orange sea will dwindle before it thickens. We can sawp Gassers anytome....but u may not get ur Flexx Bars back...hehe.Loking forward to next weekend for sure