Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 PM

I just got done taking the clutch components out.

First thing I noticed is that the Gasser has waaay better clutch components than my Kawasaki.

I squeezed the clutch lever to see how much throw I got which made the clutch lever pump up something fierce. I'll have to bleed it to get the pressure down so the rod moves back.

The only to-spec area is that the steels are flat, with no edge to them. Everything else, however, needs some attention:

The friction plates are well below tolerances (.105 inches/2.67mm) and the springs are a tad compressed (1.7 inches/43.2mm). Time for a new clutch kit from, who? Go Fasters? He mentioned that I would need OEM steels as aftermarket steels don't work so well in the Gasser. Hopefully he can get them to me before next weekend's club ride.

The basket didn't have horrific peening, but there was some. Not nearly has bad as on my KDX. I lightly filed it down.

What was somewhat alarming to me was the outside edge of the basket fingers which was independent of the peening. They had some pronounced edges to me -- something like a serrated butter knife. Like a bad sand casting. The inside edge was smooth and round. I filed the outside edge to get rid of the grabbies.

That's it for now.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 PM

Why not just get Moose Racing Steels, frictions, and springs at your local dealer. Any one that carries Parts Unlimited will be able to get them to you in 5 days. Or you could try DP clutch parts. I hear the DP steels weigh more than the stock steels and creat more rotating mass. Just an option.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM

I've heard a "rumor" that the Gassers don't like aftermarket steels and that OEM is prefered.

True or nay?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I just got done taking the clutch components out.

First thing I noticed is that the Gasser has waaay better clutch components than my Kawasaki.

I squeezed the clutch lever to see how much throw I got which made the clutch lever pump up something fierce. I'll have to bleed it to get the pressure down so the rod moves back.

The only to-spec area is that the steels are flat, with no edge to them. Everything else, however, needs some attention:

The friction plates are well below tolerances (.105 inches/2.67mm) and the springs are a tad compressed (1.7 inches/43.2mm). Time for a new clutch kit from, who? Go Fasters? He mentioned that I would need OEM steels as aftermarket steels don't work so well in the Gasser. Hopefully he can get them to me before next weekend's club ride.

The basket didn't have horrific peening, but there was some. Not nearly has bad as on my KDX. I lightly filed it down.

What was somewhat alarming to me was the outside edge of the basket fingers which was independent of the peening. They had some pronounced edges to me -- something like a serrated butter knife. Like a bad sand casting. The inside edge was smooth and round. I filed the outside edge to get rid of the grabbies.

That's it for now.
This kind of wear from an 05 is kind of surprising to me from everything I've read about the Gassers. If you aren't a clutch fanning type rider it sure sounds like the PO was.

I had to recently finally had to replace the clutch basket and damper cushions on my 10 YO KTM 250. I had bought all new fibers and steels but the originals were still within spec so I just put em back in. Clutch is working just fine. Amazing

Skidad
Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 AM

All of my clutch is in spec and its got alot of hours on it. I dont use the clutch very much thoe. The owner befor me might have but mabe not.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 AM

DO NOT pump up the clutch with nothing to limit the travel of the slave cylinder. Not sure about the '05s but the '03s back had a circlip that could be broken from the slave housing if the piston bottomed against it. My '07 has no circlip, the piston just falls out of the slave if not retained.

AZRick,

GGs have the most durable clutches out there. Bucksnbikes just put a basket in my old '00 last year, and my '03 still has the original. The baskets are hard anodized, they will show some light marks on the fingers but not notch excessively. If someone before you had the bright idea of filing the basket to make it "perfect", then its history, because the anodizing was filed off and now the plates are riding on a soft aluminum surface.

There was once a guy in PA that had a machine shop that fixed clutch baskets with steel inserts. "Stormin Norman Machine" or "Storman Norman Racing" I beleive. No website. I had the phone # somewhere, I'll try and find it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
DO NOT pump up the clutch
Now you tellz me. Let's hope I can get it back.

I wouldn't say the basket is notched. I had some discoloration where some light peening had begun. I'm not concerned.

The issue with the basket was the outside edge of the fingers that felt rough to me, like it could grab, whereas the inside edge of the finger was nice and smooth.

The previous owner liked to ride very technical and rocky terrain. I do as well, but not quite as much. I wouldn't be surprised if he fanned it through much of the rides over at the "Mile Markers" which is a place in NW Phoenix known for terrain that requires ample clutch manipulation.

There was no evidence of previous filing of the basket. I'm not concerned about it. I could just get the new clutch kit and bolt it together.

So, about these OEM steels. Given that they appear to be in-spec and not discolored, do I need to replace the steels? They look fine to me.

If one were to replace the steels, would you recommend OEM-only steels as GoFasters suggests? I'm thinking that I can I just get the fibers and springs from a local parts distributor? (monkeybuttparts.com).

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM

I replaced my clutch last year on my 99 EC200! The OEM was in since new, and replaced in 07...that should tell you how good the OEM stuff is. The basket looks perfect....mind you this is on a 200. I am not rough on the clutch, never the less it was due. I replaced it with a Barnett kit, no more clutch drag, proper free play, Motul 2 stroke tranny oil, replaced clutch fluid, using a stringe. Tough as nails
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 09-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Well my 200 GasGas clutch performed faultlessly yesterday, starting fine in gear first kick no drama.

Unfortunately none of this is relevant to this thread, I was out on my GG Trials bike. I still haven't properly ridden the EC200, & next weekend's ride is cancelled too! May have to get into the bush in the next couple.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Is there a consensus on GoFaster's claim that OEM steels are required (is not required)?

Any friction plates that are recommended?