Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM

Default Vent tube for powervalve

I changed the oil on my bike today and decided to remove the plastic glide plate. When I removed it I noticed that oil started leaking all over the left side of the frame and on the ground. I found that the oil was coming from the vent tube coming from the powervalve cover. The tube had been crimped by the skidplate ever since I bought the bike and at least 3 to 4 ounces or more of oil had built up inside the powervalve cover.

I guess my question is does this seem normal to have happened with the vent blocked? Could this have been causing a lack of performance?

I ended up taking the cover off and cleaning up the area and rerouting the hose so it is not crimped. The bike starts and runs great but I have not been able to ride it to see if it performs any better.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

it is normal. The bike in standard form actually has the hose doubled back and zip tied closed, and i have read that normal maintenance should involve opening it up and draining it from time to time. If a lot of oil came out (i am a metric guy!) it may have been affecting the Performance.

on my 2010 i have just left mine open as it has been on all my other bikes so it drains out all the time. I am not sure what GG reasoning is for having it closed, but i can only see it becoming a problem in really deep river crossings.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
it is normal. The bike in standard form actually has the hose doubled back and zip tied closed, and i have read that normal maintenance should involve opening it up and draining it from time to time. If a lot of oil came out (i am a metric guy!) it may have been affecting the Performance.

on my 2010 i have just left mine open as it has been on all my other bikes so it drains out all the time. I am not sure what GG reasoning is for having it closed, but i can only see it becoming a problem in really deep river crossings.
The tubes are crimped off to prevent any leakage of oil during transport. You can hardly count the zeroes in the fine if you were dripping crap from your engines during shipment. Stupid - perhaps, but that's the way it is.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Ok, so I guess I should go ahead and leave it open then. I figure it must have a negative impact on performance. The volume in the powervalve cover area would have been near zero with that much oil in there.

I still have plenty to learn about the powervalve operation on the GasGas. It is a much different system from the KTM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
Ok, so I guess I should go ahead and leave it open then. I figure it must have a negative impact on performance. The volume in the powervalve cover area would have been near zero with that much oil in there.

I still have plenty to learn about the powervalve operation on the GasGas. It is a much different system from the KTM.
The GasGas system operates in part by adding volume (behind the left hand cover) to the exhaust, effectively adding headpipe length. Numerous aftermarket options exist or have existed to increase the chamber volume (spacers, new covers) to boost low end.

By trapping the residual oil you were diminishing the effect of the PV system because the resonance volume was reduced.

Make sure you keep the drain clear, and you may want to look at a cleaner burning oil the leaves less splooge.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
less splooge.
Steve, I believe the proper technical term is "spooge".
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Steve, I believe the proper technical term is "spooge".
Which one? Moe, Larry, or Curly?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
Which one? Moe, Larry, or Curly?
What about Shemp?

Last edited by mcnut; 01-20-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
What about Shemp?
Oh. Wise Guy! Woob wooob woooob wooob
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The GasGas system operates in part by adding volume (behind the left hand cover) to the exhaust, effectively adding headpipe length. Numerous aftermarket options exist or have existed to increase the chamber volume (spacers, new covers) to boost low end.

By trapping the residual oil you were diminishing the effect of the PV system because the resonance volume was reduced.

Make sure you keep the drain clear, and you may want to look at a cleaner burning oil the leaves less splooge.
I figured it was having an effect on performance. It seems the more I have ridden the bike the more I feel it is lacking power.

I am not sure I could find a much cleaner burning oil. I am running mobil1 2t full synthetic at apprx.50:1. I never have any spooge at the silencer.

I am pretty sure the drain has been blocked since new and the bike has about 25 hours now. That is quite an accumulation of spooge.

I have thought about adding the larger pv cover but I may decide to add the estart so I have held off.