Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Default Jetting, PV cover, G2, FWW, Rekluse: So many choices?

Love my DE300, but wanting to make it even more friendly. I know this topice gets discussed over and over, so I will be specific as to what I am looking for.

I am an intermediate rider and ride in the Northwest. I ride a variety of terrain, with most of it being 2nd-3rd gear tight trails. I love the 300, but am looking for it to be more "4 stroke like" if that is possible. I want the power delivery to be as smooth as possible. I do not want more power! I just want it to be smooth and linear.

I ride the bike a gear high most of the time and love how the bike lugs. I am just looking for it to be smoother on the delivery of power.

I know there are a ton of choices here and many directions to go. My first job is to install a CCK needle. I am leaning toward a Rekluse (exp 2.0 if they start making them), or Revloc as well.

Any advice?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:06 PM

I think a flywheel weight will be the most effective solution for improving smoothness. Fast riders might say the extra rotating mass slows them down on corners, but the extra pull from a heavy flywheel will give you that four stroke feel.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Have a 2010 EC 300 + Trusty PV cover, pulls hard low down. Getting Rekluse fitted next week (?499 fitted) - not EXP 2.0 tho.
We have wide range of terrain here in Devon UK, rock / slate / mud
http://devongtrf.activeboard.com/

Biff
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Timing baby. You need to retard the timing and she'll be butter smooth. Try 1mm.

The other cheap way is to fab a restrictor disc that will sit in front of your carb or in the exhaust head pipe. Reduced pump efficiency.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM

DSo you still have the reed spacer? if not put it back in,, and the G2 helps it feel mellow without reducing power..Which pipe are you running? FMF or GasGas? The pipes make a bigger difference than you would think.. Also the CDI make a big difference too.. GMP could probably tell you which one would give you smoother power.. I would think the softest cdi map was the 03 250ec..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I've got FMF pipe and reed spacer.

I am realizing that I am really a lazy older trail rider, rather than the young, fast enduro racer I thought I was

I really dont want more pull down low, as the DE300 has plenty on tap already. I am leaning toward a FWW and G2 as they both seem to specifically address my needs.

Kinda sucks getting old, but then again, now I can afford a Gasgas and the accessories to make it the ultimate ofld man's bike!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Uhmm, just sayin...
That timing tip is a FREEBIE and it really does de-tune the low-end performance. Drum roll please.
It's like installing both the G2 and FWW. Go to dinner and buy a tire with the savings!

Some times it's the little things that work.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 PM

Are there any long-term dangers to changing the timing? Just a little nervous about doing that.

I looked at my owner's manual and it acutally gives you a how to on changing the timing. Curious.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM

No dangers. Now if there's too much advance, then detination occurs, that, not so good.
The retard is a milder tune, so to speak. Runs cooler in the tight stuff, even a little more over-rev occurs. Too retarded and starting issues will surface.

A couple mm's is no big deal in either direction.