Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Intake Noise

Is there any way to reduce intake noise from the airbox?

I have an '05 DE 300 (thanks firfighter,) just thought I'd see how quiet I can make it. I had a silencer from a KDX lying around. It fit well after removing a couple of mounting tabs.

Now the exhaust noise is minimal, and I was surprised at the lack of mechanical noise - at least compared to the KDX that rattles like it's about ready to come apart! (it is not.)

The loudest and most annoying noise now is from the airbox - when you accelerate hard, the low "BWAAAA" sound coming from that area is actually quite loud. I don't know if this is technically from the carburetor taking air in, or having the slide opened so that engine noise can come back out.

So I'm back to my original question - is there any way to reduce the intake noise?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Is there any way to reduce intake noise from the airbox?

I have an '05 DE 300 (thanks firfighter,) just thought I'd see how quiet I can make it. I had a silencer from a KDX lying around. It fit well after removing a couple of mounting tabs.

Now the exhaust noise is minimal, and I was surprised at the lack of mechanical noise - at least compared to the KDX that rattles like it's about ready to come apart! (it is not.)

The loudest and most annoying noise now is from the airbox - when you accelerate hard, the low "BWAAAA" sound coming from that area is actually quite loud. I don't know if this is technically from the carburetor taking air in, or having the slide opened so that engine noise can come back out.

So I'm back to my original question - is there any way to reduce the intake noise?

Thanks,

Jeff
*shrugs* Intake noise is cool. Lets you know your engines breathing deeply. As for hearing it I only every really here mine sucking at idle (more so with the seat off). Opening the throttle I'm too busy holding on and looking ahead to listen to the intake.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM

what you hear is a tractor
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
what you hear is a tractor
Now we're talkin'! Thanks, guys.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM

all kidding aside....I would just make sure that the air filter boot is secure to the carb bell and there is no leak, the clamps are tight and sealed properly.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM

I have sometimes wondered if some sort of noise dampening foam or suchlike could be applied to the inside of the airbox / base of the seat. Never tried it though
Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM

I'd say the same way to guy who asks if there is some way to make his Ferrari sound like toyota....

My answer is: WHY!!!!

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM

Unless it really bothers you, I wouldn't bother. Have you ridden a Husaberg? The airbox is under the seat, I rode a new 390 a month ago... and was glad there was a seat there....
2005 Z1000R
1997 GL1500
Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 AM

I had a Ducati Hypermotard with stacks/pod filters, LV exhaust. The intake howl at large throttle openings, combined with the exhaust would set off car alarms. A two stroke isn't even on the charts.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Hey Jeff, Hope you are enjoying the bike! I miss it already!

I agree with the noise. I can't figure out why some bikes are noisier than others. I had 2 KTM200's (both at the same time for a while), both with same exhaust and one was loud, the other was quiet.

I have run a DB snorkle on a KTM300 and it didn't seem to really quiet the [U]bike[U] just the exhaust.

Like mentioned before, I wonder if some foam inside the airbox itself would help dampen the noise. You know the airbox on a Gasgas just kinda sits out there and the sides are just the the side panels. On your KDX and other bikes it is acutally a box. Maybe sealing up the seams better with foam might help, but I would worry about the amount of air coming in and how that would affect jetting, etc.