Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Enduro-tech race.5 headlight

On Monday, I tried my new headlight for the first time. It is made in Poland, byEnduro-tech.eu. They make two models for the Gasgas, the Dual.5 and Race.5. The difference being the Dual.5 having a high and low (dipped) beam, while the Race.5 has a high and a wide beam at the same vertical angle. When high beam is turned on, both beams (5 LEDs) are lit. On low/wide beam, 2 LEDs with spreading lens are lit. See their website for diagrams on the difference in light angles.

My lamp is the Race.5, as I do not ride on public roads.

I also bought a new headlight mask and decal, so I have two complete units, one for winter riding in the dark and the OEM one for the rest of the time. The new lamp is so expensive that I don't want to use it (and possibly destroy it) when it's not necessary.

The lamps doesn't fit perfectly into the mask (yet), but I think I should be able to adjust it a little better.

As you can see, the light is nice, bright and white, with a shadow from the front fender. When I stand up, the white fender reflects some light up towards the rider. However, it's no big problem when riding, as I always try look farther away.

The light is obviously far better than the 35W OEM light. The lamp is specified to use 4.5A (at 12V I presume) and output 4500 Lumens. It has a built-in power supply / regulator for the LEDs, and can be run on both DC and AC. The built-in power supply has overvoltage protection and also over-temperature protection (not a problem in the Norwegian winter, I presume).

I run it off my OEM 2015 EC200R generator / rectifier / regulator with no problems so far (but I have only used it for a couple of hours). I removed the light switch, and wired the new lamp to be on full power all the time. In my experience, the light switch is quite vulnerable, I have broken a few in the past.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Old 01-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Nice! I put the EnduroTech Dual5 on my good friends orange dualsport last year and it was a drastic improvement in both brightness and pattern over the LED conversion bulb he was previously using. I kinda wish I had gone with the EnduroTech instead of my outrageously expensive 7" led race light since the dual5 has a smoother pattern with virtually no hot spots... it just doesn't throw light quite as far as my bigger light. How is the throw of the Race5? Is it enough light for 70mph+?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The lamps doesn't fit perfectly into the mask (yet), but I think I should be able to adjust it a little better.

Can You, please, elaborate in a bit more detail the issues with fitment?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargusV View Post
Can You, please, elaborate in a bit more detail the issues with fitment?
The only minor problem is that the lamps sits a mm or two too high in the lamp mask. You can see it in this image

Not a big problem, can be fixed by either moving the lamp a little bit down by elongating the holes in the fixings, or by adjusting the plastic with a file.

The lamp is delivered with a new height adjustment bracket. Very sturdy, better than the OEM (but you need tools to adjust it). It also comes with a connector that don't have a matching connector in the GG harness. I had to make an adapter cable from the lamp's connector to the H4 connector (the red connector and cable in the image below). Not a big deal.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-19-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
How is the throw of the Race5? Is it enough light for 70mph+?
Hard to say. I never ride that fast :-)
I would guess its the same as Dual.5 when it comes to the length of the beam.

1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc