Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ventura View Post
Stamp the dreaded sentence on the very bottom of the MSO.
ED
The MSO is an issue for me also. I'm planing on buying a 2011 EC300 estart model, but the purchase will depend on how the MSO works here. I need to be able to run some pavement to connect trails.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
The MSO is an issue for me also. I'm planing on buying a 2011 EC300 estart model, but the purchase will depend on how the MSO works here. I need to be able to run some pavement to connect trails.
Won't you be buying from a Canadian dealer?
2010 GasGas EC 300 Nambotin Replica #141
2006 Honda XR650R Supermoto
Old 08-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
Won't you be buying from a Canadian dealer?
Yes, but we face the same problem getting a plate. Local laws (provincial) have not changed in decades. They state that the requirements are headlight, tail light and horn as minimum equipment. Thus we can street plate an enduro machine. I have no intention of doing any pavement except to connect trails, so minimum equipment is OK for my needs (pavement is a waste of good tires).

As new government computer systems are adopted, new restrictions show up. If a serial number is different than the 17 digit North American standard, there is no way to enter it in the vehicle registration system.

In Canada we have the NVIS (new vehicle information statement) similar to the MSO. So if it states "off road use only", we have problems. Government agencies are (or soon will be) requesting (from manufacturers) lists of serial numbers for their machines that meet federal standards. These standards necessitate full road compliance. That means only DOT homologated machines can be road plated.

So when I go to buy my next bike and can't plate a GasGas, then I have to purchase a TE310 instead. Like many others, I don't want a 4T for trail riding. If I was doing dual sport riding, the 4T would be adequate.

I was hoping manufacturers would bring DI 2T bikes to market sooner. The reality is that by the time this happens, the bikes will HAVE to be DOT approved to get a plate. Only the larger manufacturers would go through this process, so we'd still be out of luck if we want to purchase a bike from the smaller (more creative) manufacturers.

We CAN get an offroad plate, but that doesn't allow us to ride down the shoulder of the road, so connecting trails is impossible.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM

It will be interesting to see if we can slide a GG past the MTO in Ontario. They are definitely getting tougher to slip a plate past. The old Euro spec bikes were impossible to plate after 07 because of the wonky VIN. Hopefully the NA spec VINs will not get kicked out of the computer system.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I'm also waiting on this. What I've heard as of last year anyway. If you have a plated bike as of 2010 then it will be "Grandfathered". Like my 08/TE510
no troubles keeping a plate on her. I did have it certified by a DOT rep. back in 08 and got the proper decals. Now the TE come road worthy but not in 08. When it comes time to trade her in. (which is soon) the next person might have troubles getting a plate on her. When the registry changes hands sort of speak. What I have heard is there is a certain letter in the serial number which designates on or off road.
It would be great to see the EC's being license-able.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator

The discussions seems to be getting a little off track here - this isn't a Q and A for Dave Fair at GasGas Pacific (Canadian GasGas Importer)...

Should I split this canadian discussion off into it's own thread?

thx,
Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
The discussions seems to be getting a little off track here - this isn't a Q and A for Dave Fair at GasGas Pacific (Canadian GasGas Importer)...

Should I split this canadian discussion off into it's own thread?

thx,
Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Yes split the Canadian discussion off into it's own thread.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM

Thanks for splitting the topic. I just wanted to point out that the MSO/NVIS is a problem for casual trail riders as well as Enduro riders. Considering the popularity of machines like the 300XC-W, I hope manufacturers continue working on direct injection.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 AM

For myself it is no problem getting a plate for my Nambotin. My bike came in the crate with signal lights, switch gear, horn, DOT tires, a 40 tooth rear sprocket, and an alternate pipe with a pollution pump.
We do not have emissions testing out here, and insurance is based purely on engine size. Everything under 400cc cost $270 for 12 months. Anything over 400cc cost $960 for 12 months. Whether it's a dirt bike or a Harley.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
For myself it is no problem getting a plate for my Nambotin. My bike came in the crate with signal lights, switch gear, horn, DOT tires, a 40 tooth rear sprocket, and an alternate pipe with a pollution pump.
We do not have emissions testing out here, and insurance is based purely on engine size. Everything under 400cc cost $270 for 12 months. Anything over 400cc cost $960 for 12 months. Whether it's a dirt bike or a Harley.
Where in Saskatchewan are you? I didn't think there were other GG enduro riders out here. I know of a few GG trials riders. I'd love to hit the trails with you some time. I do most of my riding in the forest south of Prince Albert.

I've heard a mixed bag with people getting dirtbikes plated here. Some people have no problems, other people can't. Even with the same model bike, same model year.

There is a difference in price between plates for a cruiser and a sportbike in Saskatchewan. My two sportbikes are each $1441 per year, and that is with my 8% safe driver discount. I wish they were only $960...